Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I'm still quite new to driving a SLk and I wonder what is the best practice on checking the engine oil level.

Do I wait for the warning message to come up on the display ( I read in the manual there are two messages , one to inform the driver that oil level is low and one when it's critically low) or is it best to check the oil using the dipstick if so, how frequently would I need to do that.

If someone could also recommend a decent Engine Oil .My previous motor had Shell Synthetic w10/40 if I'm not mistaking, can I use the same oil ?

Phil

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
If you have only recently purchased your SLK, then you should check the oil everytime you put fuel in the car. It helps to know how much oil the engine is using and at what rate. Once you understand that, it helps to set the frequency. I check mine when I wash the car. It's part of my weekly underbonnet checks, take virtually no time to do.

In the 350 I think there is about 8 litres of oil in the sump, so being short by the odd litre is unlikely to be a problem. On the other hand do not over-fill, can cause damage. My own preference is to have the oil level just below the top mark. I wouldn't recommend waiting for the light on the dashboard to tell you the oil level is low, definately dip it.

Only use fully synthetic oils that comply with MB 229.5 (check your manual to be sure). Mobil 1 or Shell Helix Ultra 5W 40 would be my choice.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing this with me.

Does someone know when the actual warning light does come on?

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Assuming your 350 has the same end piece on the dipstick.....it was a little hard to read at first (compared to the traditional flat stick). With good lighting it is easier to ascertain the exact level, especially when the oil darkens after a little use. I check at every gas stop and always before trips.....never needed any additional oil. Good luck!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for that ,

how much oil ( in liters) is between the lower and upper part of the dipstick. I assume that's more than a liter, is it ?

having done around 2500 miles in the car , ( checked oil all the time, but then I thought if I keep on checking it in this rate I wipe more of the dipstick than the engine is actually using :biglaugh: ) it's just below the upper part of the dipstick

TA

Phil

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I check the oil level once a week, usually Thursday afternoon when I can get in the garage where it's level (the surface at a gas station isn't always level). The Operators Manual tells "when" to check the oil(after engine shut-off) and states the oil level is ok anywhere between MAX and MIN, which is a 2.1 qt range(8.5qt capacity). Any oil on this list is fine; http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html .
I personally wouldn't rely on a sensor to tell me when to add oil.
If you don't have an Operators Manual, go here, http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/service_and_parts/owners_manuals , and download one. It is very useful!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.