Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys

so my 98 slk 230 komp, was doing great until this afternoon when i left work and noticed i actually had a light on....the yellow light of death..check engine...oh no!!!...never really had this light on any of my cars..but since i've been reading about this car for a while..i figured this is going to happen to me eventually due to the dreaded MAF sensor.

never the less..i kept going down the highway ...car sounds fine...the engine doesn't sound the smoothest but doesn't sound bad...then i'm like if i remember half the time this light is MAF..so just keep it calm..go to Autozone get the code pulled and see what happens..

i get the codes pulled and i got the following

p0410
p0170

the 410 sounds like MAF...
the other one 0170..i'm like what...the diagnostic says..possible bad o2 sensor/ fuel injector problem, MAF, BLA BLA BLA..

so i remember watching how to clean your MAF on youtube and saw a guy using electrical contact cleaner..and spraying the crap out of his thing and done....in anycase...before i even mess with this....i figured i would consult the guru's...

1. are these codes kinda hand in hand?
2. How often should you clean the MAF or replace it?
3. should i be cleaning it with the electrical contact cleaner?
4. what are some other possible problems or ideas..
5. Should i be driving it at all?

i was going to get a idler pulley changed on saturday as well as/ oil change/ and trans (fluid/filter,plug), fuel filter too and replace the dampner for kicks and giggles...but this kinda killed my mood for maintenance as i don't know weather to be ok or not....also some dude at autozone..you know the local genious said that it could be a air pump that went bad...i don't know.....you guys be the ones to diagnose...:rb

·
Registered
287 Posts
A sig link are the hyper links to information at the end of her e-mail. The check engine light (on all of the time when car is running) is related to fuel management and/or emissions systems. If car is running normally you can drive it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so according to this...

P0170 Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1) ) check vaccum leaks first or
P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1) ) faulty MAF (mass air flow) sensor
P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction

what does that even mean...what is secondary air injections system?

·
Registered
100 Posts
so according to this...

P0170 Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1) ) check vaccum leaks first or
P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1) ) faulty MAF (mass air flow) sensor
P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction

what does that even mean...what is secondary air injections system?

You should take it a good mechanic. Since your car is 1998, I would assume its not under any warranty. Don't take it to the Mercedes Dealership.

Other than that, you should ask Tolak to help you

·
Registered
280 Posts
On other car I have owned I found over the years that one code being the MAF or whatever can caurse other codes to be thrown. If you can clear all the codes (no check engine light) then run or drive the car and as soon as the Check Engine Light comes back on read the code again, hopefully it'll only show where the problem is coming from..

It works for me most times..

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
First point is to clean the MAF sensor, as you've already worked out.
Not sure about using contact cleaner; I would use a carb cleaner, which is oil-based and will not have any silicone in the spray. (This is the important bit)

You'll find that if you have a security torx bit (T20?) you can take out the sensor from the sleeve, and so can clean it with more detail, but if you don't, there is no problem cleaning the sensor from outside the carrier.

The problems about air flow can be from poor information.
If the performance (and smoothness of running) doesn't improve, or the faults don't go away, then we revisit.
Let us know how you get on; Speak again soon

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Clearing codes

how do i clear the code without a computer thing?
Two types of codes; some clear themselves, and some latch, so they have to be cleared.
Most of the engine ones clear automatically; they will be remembered, but will not keep the CEL lit.

If you need to read the codes, then you will need the 38-pin connector, and associated system. Search for "38-pin" and a thread by Tiralarc57 is the best concentration of info I've seen.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So i cleaned the maf...with crb maf cleaner..it was already spotless in there...drove home with no results..i never cleared the codes...now what? The check valve? The fuse thing? What to check for?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am currently having same issue w/o the 0410 code. I put in a bottle of techron and cleaned the MAF. Drove it 120 miles before the CEL went off. I am still having some issues but the CEL has remained off.

I do not know if the CEL would go off immediately if it was just a dirty MAF or it is takes a while to "re-set" itself.

·
Registered
734 Posts
how do i clear the code without a computer thing?
I don't think you can, but one of these has been recommended to me as a good diagnostic tool that will also clear the error codes :

Autel EU702

You will need to check with the seller that it will work correctly with US versions of the car.

Haven't finished reading the thread, so someone else may have got to this point already :)

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
I don't think you can, but one of these has been recommended to me as a good diagnostic tool that will also clear the error codes :

Autel EU702

You will need to check with the seller that it will work correctly with US versions of the car.

Haven't finished reading the thread, so someone else may have got to this point already :)
Just a note; since you have a pre-facelift R170, you will not be able to use OBD2.
The light should only be lit when the problem is active.
The codes will be remembered so the correct tool can read them after the event, so it does not have to be recreated on the workshop floor to allow diagnostics.
So once you've done the repair, clear the faults, so before and after are not confused, and then try again.
(So DIYGirl had the fault and lamp come straight back when she cleaned the MAF, but when running Techron, after 120 miles, has cleared the lamp)

However, these code readers do support different protocols, and so with a 38-pin adapter, you can get to the different systems, and read/reset them. (See the thread mentioned above, as started by Tiralarc57.)

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
I am currently having same issue w/o the 0410 code. I put in a bottle of techron and cleaned the MAF. Drove it 120 miles before the CEL went off. I am still having some issues but the CEL has remained off.

I do not know if the CEL would go off immediately if it was just a dirty MAF or it is takes a while to "re-set" itself.
For the full story, see this thread.

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
So i cleaned the maf...with crb maf cleaner..it was already spotless in there...drove home with no results..i never cleared the codes...now what? The check valve? The fuse thing? What to check for?
I suspect that the next stage might be Techron, as mentioned in DIYGirl's thread.
Certainly Jeff recommends it. My only reservation is to be sure to change the oil shortly after you've run the treated tank through the car.

See here for a great offer

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After running more errands today light has come off!!! Which means even though my MAF wasnt oily/greasy... It was dirty.... i guess i just couldnt see it...Thank u all

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bad news my light has come on again...is it now confirmed that yes it is the MAF sensor? and when looking for just the insert what exactly is the part number..i couldn't get the thing off with my torque strews due to the peg in the middle of the hole...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.