Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first timer here. Just picked up a 2000 230SLK with 90k miles. Purchased from a used dealer with practically no fuel in it. Fueled it up ASAP and shortly thereafter a little yellow light started flashing on the fuel gauge and the check engine light came on. Referred to owners manual, removed and replaced the fuel cap to a tighter condition and the flashing light went off but the check engine light remained on. According to the owners manual (best I can tell), the check engine light should go off next time the system does an OBD self test, if that is in fact why it came on in the first place. Have driven it about 20 miles and 5 start cycles since. Is it time to seek professional help or do I need to wait a bit longer. Thank in advance.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,846 Posts
Check the seal around the gas cap. If worn or dried out, it will produce a CEL as vacuum is escaping

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jeff is correct if the cap is not sealing properly that will caus a CEL

I have a bad habbit of filling up while the engine idles, especially
when the weather is cold. I get a CEL every time this happens.
I am usually in my old pick up when this happens, and usually
after about 50 miles or so the light will drop out.

Hey all, first timer here. Just picked up a 2000 230SLK with 90k miles. Purchased from a used dealer with practically no fuel in it. Fueled it up ASAP and shortly thereafter a little yellow light started flashing on the fuel gauge and the check engine light came on. Referred to owners manual, removed and replaced the fuel cap to a tighter condition and the flashing light went off but the check engine light remained on. According to the owners manual (best I can tell), the check engine light should go off next time the system does an OBD self test, if that is in fact why it came on in the first place. Have driven it about 20 miles and 5 start cycles since. Is it time to seek professional help or do I need to wait a bit longer. Thank in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a similar problem. I have a 1999 230SLK with just under 40,000 miles. About a month ago the check engine light came on. I made sure the gas cap was on tight. The light went off after I filled the gas tank, but after driving about 50 miles the check engine light came back on. I replaced the seal on the gas cap, even though the old one appeared to be fine. Replacing the seal did not seem to change anything. The cycle continues - I fill the tank, the light goes off but comes back on after driving 50 miles or less.

I talked to the dealer and it charges $120 just to plug it in and run diagnostics. I am confident it will only get more expensive after that. Any idea what is causing this or how to fix it?

·
Registered 2003 SLK230K
44 Posts
Gbarringer100 is correct, most auto parts stores will read the codes, but likely will not reset them.
Just purchase an OBD II reader, will be the most important tool working on this car.
Just get a little blue tooth transmitter and load an app on your tablet or smart phone. This lets you read and reset and a whole lot more.
I got a wifi model, not as nice, the app lets you connect to Internet for more info, but alas, I'm using wifi to talk to the car.

·
* Registered 2006 SLK350
104 Posts
I bought a little ODBII reader - about $80 if I remember correctly - has been awesome to have. Every time there is a CEL, I read it, search the forum, buy the part, fix it myself, and reset the code. Or, if more involved, take the part to my cheap mechanic and he puts it in!
I recommend buying one. Even better, now I see they have bluetooth ones that you read with your iPhone! I'll bet it does even more than mine!

·
*Premium Member
2019 SLC300
2,858 Posts
I bought a little ODBII reader - about $80 if I remember correctly - has been awesome to have. Every time there is a CEL, I read it, search the forum, buy the part, fix it myself, and reset the code. Or, if more involved, take the part to my cheap mechanic and he puts it in!
I recommend buying one. Even better, now I see they have bluetooth ones that you read with your iPhone! I'll bet it does even more than mine!
The ODB2 with Bluetooth does not work with Iphone. They work with android phones. For some reason Apple is not compatible with all Bluetooth. For Iphone you will need a WIFI ODB2 scanner.

·
Registered 2003 SLK230K
44 Posts
It appears you have the r171 model, this forum is about the r170. Location UK and Portugal, which side is the steering wheel?
On the r170 with steering wheel on left, the OBD2 port is under the dash, on far LH side forward of the hood release handle.
If you still can't find it you may want to ask on the r171 forum.

Good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.