Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after numerous attempts at trying to find a replacement grill I actually liked for my car, I gave up!!!

Last night I decided to give the car a little face-lift by painting the grill a satin black. I did not like the odd gray that the factory grill was colored so I went for black.

After removing the six(6) 8mm headed bolts the grill just pops right on out.

After removing the MB star by releasing about 6 clips on the backside, the grill was given a good bath and then hit with some wax/grease remover and let to dry for about an hour in the sun.

I had great results in the past with other plastic painting projects using Krylon Fusion paint, so that was the paint of choice for the grill (Satin Black).

I painted the backside of the grill first then flipped it over for the front.

As that was left to dry...I decided to paint what was behind the grill a flat black just so the red body parts and such would not be as noticeable thru the grill.

As you can see there is a lot of brightness and color going on behind the grill!

I noticed that the center support/ horn mount was only retained by 2 bolts...few seconds with a 10mm socket the bracket came right out to paint!!

After a good washing, I hit the assembly with some scotchbrite to gain some good adhesion of the paint. I squirted it with some flat black Rustoleum I had in my paint cabinet. I also painted the bolt heads cause they had the body color on them as well.

Next was to get everything else inside the grill area cleaned and painted.

After it got tapped up, I painted the exposed red body color components with flat black.

After the paint dried I put the center support back in and secured everything the way it was before.

By this time, the grill was dry and ready to be put back in.

I still needed to snap the MB star back in but decided before I do that I want to darken it up a bit.

I was thinking just to "FOG" some black paint over the star but then I remembered I had some Lens tinting paint I just bought ..So I gave that a try!!

While tinting the MB star I also decided to remove the MB hood badge and do the same tinting to that as well.

Here is the final outcome:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I still need to remove and paint the lower bumper grill, but will save that for a cooler day!!!

Here are a few shots with the completed grill:

·
Minion
5,602 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excuse me.. do you think with all your free time you could just toodle up here and do all of these mods to Bella? lol unreal.. car is looking fantastic!
The joy of being unemployed!! LOL

Glad I bought all my improvements prior to being laid off!!! At least they were paid for already!!

Now I'm just tinkering with her, but building a list again!! LOL

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the look. No clear coat on top of the black to give it a little more protection?
Was thinking that too, but that Fusion paint is really durable. Had some on my Jeeps fender flares, and help up fantastic. But def a good suggestion!! Would have to find a MATT or FLAT clear coat..Don't want to gloss it up any.

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,565 Posts
Great job! I really like the look...thanks for the instructions!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Awesome choice retaining the factory grill! For me it is still the best looking grill (even if it does look like an electric shaver), just last year I needed to replace the factory grill to a new one and was looking for those updated grills, but same thing here couldn't decide which one to get. The grill with the louvres looked like aircon vents to me, and a friend from the mb club here in my country told me not to get it or the one which looks like the r171 grill. He explained that the factory grill gave the slk it's unique look from cars from the same timeline and separated its class from them. It was the only car that had that grill. It's unique and won't go out of style. ( true enough the new a class grill looks similarly close to the grill) He told me its an slk why would you want it to look like a c class? You paid more for it than you would pay for a c class. That was the kicker for me, so instead of getting an updated grill, I bought a new one from the dealer which cost me more than the updated grill but gave me a proud big smile on my face. So once again great choice for retaining the grill. Also nice clean job on painting the grill. I've been thinking of doing the same because my car is black. But I don't want to lose the shine in the star. :)

FYI: during the time I was going through the multiple grill styles I found out that there are three factory colors of the factory grill. Black for the pre facelift models 98-00, gray for the facelift models 2001-04, and chrome for the slk final edition 2003-04 in select countries.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,648 Posts
Where have the photos gone?
The member who posted the thread has not returned in a while and his links to his server or location where he had his photos probably has terminated his lease

·
Registered 2004 SLK32 AMG
29 Posts
Hello I read your post about painting the grille. I am having the same thought. I am having to replace the front bumper cover on my 2004 SLK32 AMG the grille is painted silver like the rest of the car but I thought that flat or satin black might set it off. I plan to paint the bumper cover silver again to match the car. My grille also has a few cracks in it, not due to the need to have to replace the bumper cover. The cracks in the grille just seemed to happen over time. Some probably due to taking on and off for repairs maintenance. The plastic MB used seems very brittle and breakable to me. If I could find a cheaper grille or something different I would. But it looks like after market trim/body parts for these are not available, Was that the result of your search as well ? Thanks for any thoughts on this. SKOhio

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,648 Posts
Hello I read your post about painting the grille. I am having the same thought. I am having to replace the front bumper cover on my 2004 SLK32 AMG the grille is painted silver like the rest of the car but I thought that flat or satin black might set it off. I plan to paint the bumper cover silver again to match the car. My grille also has a few cracks in it, not due to the need to have to replace the bumper cover. The cracks in the grille just seemed to happen over time. Some probably due to taking on and off for repairs maintenance. The plastic MB used seems very brittle and breakable to me. If I could find a cheaper grille or something different I would. But it looks like after market trim/body parts for these are not available, Was that the result of your search as well ? Thanks for any thoughts on this. SKOhio
Steve

be aware of a threads age
this one is about 6 years old
change your view to not post in old threads

also a tip for you

use the 'quote' button at the bottom of any post you want to
reply to or reference or ask a question of so we know who you are talking to

1 - 12 of 12 Posts