Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong section, I see there is a dedicated STAR section, but thought best not to start a thread in there as I am not talking about the specific Star software. Also I appreciate this type of thread probably gets asked a lot, but I couldn’t find any suitable threads online!

Two weeks ago today I bought my dad a 2008 SLK200 for his birthday. It has been great, however today my dad informed be the engine management light came on. I asked him if the car drove OK and whether there was anything unusual like erratic idling or misfires etc, but he said it was fine. Once home I took the car for a quick drive myself and all seems OK bar the CEL!

I have spent all evening searching the internet for cheap diagnostic tools so I can scan the car to see what the code is so I can try and fix the problem. As you can imagine there a lot of different tools available. I do not want to spend too much money, just something simple that can scan the ECU, read fault codes and clear them.

I have found the following on ebay, can anyone recommend any of them or anything else?

Merceds iCarsoft i980, £100… MERCEDES BENZ DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER TOOL SRS ABS CHECK ENGINE OBD2 CODE READER SCAN | eBay

Konnwei KW808, £40… For MERCEDES BENZ OBD 2 Car Diagnostic Code Reader Scanner Tool Professional M11 | eBay

MaxiScan MS309, £19… For Mercedes Benz Car Diagnostic PRO Scanner Code Reader Fault Tool OBD OBD2 | eBay

U480, £13… Mercedes Benz MB OBD2 CAN BUS Fault Code Reader Scanner diagnostic scan tool UK | eBay

The £100 iCarsoft i980 looks the best by far, but is obviously that much more than the others. The £19 MaxiScan says; “Please note doesn’t cover airbag, DPF, ABS, gearbox or other modules – these need a special scanner”. I would assume the cheapest diagnostic scanner, the £13 U480, is also the same and won’t be able to clear airbag/ABS fault codes etc?

Does anyone know if the £40 Konnwei KW808 is able to clear ABS/airbag faults etc? It looks that much better than the cheapest two, but if it can’t then it’s basically the same just with more buttons!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your response re the above 4 scan tools and any other ones that are suitable and reasonably priced.

Cheers,
James

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
205 Posts
Hi, I have the I carsoft. I have used it several times and am very pleased with it. It will scan and identify faults not just cels and give you the error code and it's meaning which will point you in the right direction to fix it. It will also allow you to clear faults and cell and can read the Sams and much more too. Yes it's more expensive but it's mercedes model specific and you do get what you pay for. Hope that helps. :grin:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the Carsoft looks impressive. May I ask where you bought yours from and how much? I found one seller on ebay at £110 (Mercedes SLK Diagnostic Scan Tool & Reset Fault Code Reader - iCarsoft i980 | eBay) saying his was not a fake and that he was an official Carsoft seller etc.

Also in the £100 Carsoft link in my original post, it says;
“Works on all 2001 and later OBDII compliant PETROL European vehicles
20. Works on all 2004 and later OBDII compliant DIESEL European vehicles
21. Works on all 1996 and later OBDII compliant US and Asian vehicles”

This isn’t mentioned in the ‘authentic’ seller’s £110 listing!

If it’s true it would be a bonus, not only Mercedes specific, but it can scan other cars too and read generic codes, a bit like the other really cheap tools I mentioned above I guess.

Does yours do this? Or do you think this is a mistake in the description?

Thanks.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
205 Posts
Sorry for delay I'm at work. I bought it on ebay or amazon about 15 months ago but can't remember the seller although it was uk based. I'll dig around a bit tomorrow and see if I can find where it came from. I paid about 90 gbp at the time. I can't say I've ever tried to use it on anything else but I would check the Iicarsoft website as that will give you full specs. It may be a bit pricey but it's saved me more than that.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for delay I'm at work. I bought it on ebay or amazon about 15 months ago but can't remember the seller although it was uk based. I'll dig around a bit tomorrow and see if I can find where it came from. I paid about 90 gbp at the time. I can't say I've ever tried to use it on anything else but I would check the Iicarsoft website as that will give you full specs. It may be a bit pricey but it's saved me more than that.
No delay worries buddy! lol :) Just found the carsoft on diagnostic-world.com for £90. I will have to double check the carsoft website to see if it works on other cars. They sell a generic one for £50 I think form memory. If I cant find out, could I be cheeky and ask you to plug yours into another non mercedes car (if you have one) just to see if it works? Would be great to know!

Also have you had any problems with your carsoft? Dave put a link above to a thread of a guy with a R170 SLK and it didn't work on his car, though it is meant to! Just thought, maybe he has a fake? I have seen videos of the carsoft on diagnostic-world.com and it looks good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
James, if you're thinking about the iCarsoft scanner, checkout this thread first:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/337793-odbii-scanner.html

I know this is for the R170, not the R171, but it does show an example of the support capability, should you need it. :(
Hi Dave, not good! Wonder if his is fake?!

Also in that thread I found a link to another thread and it mentioned the U480 scanner tool, which I mentioned in my original post; "U480, £13… Mercedes Benz MB OBD2 CAN BUS Fault Code Reader Scanner diagnostic scan tool UK | eBay" The U480 works on the R170 SLK, but wonder if it works on my R171?! May be worth a shot for only £13!

Yeah I think this adaptor is for the older R170 SLK, who's diagnostic port is under the bonnet!

·
Registered
17 Posts
While certainly not as capable as a Carsoft in many regards I have found a Scantool ODBLink LX with Bluetooth, a mobile phone and the Torque app (around $60 total) to be great so far. It makes it easy and has been helpful to record some real time diagnostics from driving that may not be available with many traditional code readers.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
205 Posts
Hi Jamie, just got up....nights!!!!! No mate I've had no problems whatsoever with my icarsoft and for the money would highly recommend it. I'll try it on the bosses ford later when she's home from work. A couple of examples of what it can do.
Cel came on. Diagnosed as thermostat not fully opening. Also parktronic stopped working...2 red lights on parktronic display (no cel) diagnosed as faulty sensor and told me which one.
I really think this is the one to go for. Back soon. Geoff. :grin::bannana:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Jamie, just got up....nights!!!!! No mate I've had no problems whatsoever with my icarsoft and for the money would highly recommend it. I'll try it on the bosses ford later when she's home from work. A couple of examples of what it can do.
Cel came on. Diagnosed as thermostat not fully opening. Also parktronic stopped working...2 red lights on parktronic display (no cel) diagnosed as faulty sensor and told me which one.
I really think this is the one to go for. Back soon. Geoff. :grin::bannana:
Sounds good and thanks for your help! :tu: Look forward to your next reply! lol

·
*Premium Member
2019 SLC300
2,862 Posts
You can buy an OB2 Bluetooth adapter on Ebay and use an Android phone app that will do the job. Look for ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner and install TORQUE ANDROID on your non Iphone. Sorry but it is Bluetooth and will not work in Iphones. It will read codes and let you clear codes plus give you read out on many car engine functions and car performance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can buy an OB2 Bluetooth adapter on Ebay and use an Android phone app that will do the job. Look for ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner and install TORQUE ANDROID on your non Iphone. Sorry but it is Bluetooth and will not work in Iphones. It will read codes and let you clear codes plus give you read out on many car engine functions and car performance.
Hi, thanks for that, this could be worth a shot as it is only a few pounds!

I can find the bluetooth diagnostic scanner no problem on ebay, but which android app are you referring to exactly, who's it by? I found a lot of Torque apps in the play store. Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. Yeah I found both of them. Had mixed reviews, but you say with say this Mini ELM327 OBD2 V1.5 Car Bluetooth Scanner Android Auto Scan Diagnostic Tool UK | eBay using the Torque Lite (OBD2 & Car) app by Ian Hawkins will work with my car to check for simple codes?

I actually visited a friend tonight who has Snap On diagnostic tool and he check out my fault codes and cleared them. Here's my new thread... http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-ge...3-help-fault-codes-please%85.html#post2746945 I'm still after my own diagnostic tool though!

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK320 & 2000 SLK230
2,722 Posts
If Torque Pro is still $4.99 on the store, that should be a no-braner. With Pro you can also use TorqueScan to find out which readings are available. There are additional PIDs on the forum but have not checked that out yet. Once I have an SLK I plan to try Carley (lite does not recognize my 170-clone).

Any BT based scanner should be able to use a $10 ELM327 mini dongle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.