Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost a turn signal lens so I bought a new assembly. How is the old assembly removed? I see a small square opening in the bottom of the rear reflector with what appeared to be a tab. Just touched it with a screwdriver and the tab either broke or simply "hid" on me. Anyone know how to change this turn signal assembly, getting the old one out especially. Seems to slide out but that tab that is gone must have had something to do with it. No way to get at it from inside the engine bay. Some help please as a search here showed no match! THX mark

·
Professional Troublemaker
257 Posts
It really sounds like Mark is trying to remove the turn signal pod that is part of the headlight assembly.

The entire headlight assembly needs to be removed, it is 3 screws and then it easily slides out. The turn signal pod attaches to the side. I can't paste search results from this current computer, so all I can say is look in the Mod section for people with Spyderlight installations, someone has taken pictures of the steps. I swapped out my headlights, that is how I know it is 3 screws and a really simple procedure. I just didn't write it down ;)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,379 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The turn signal housing can be removed in a matter of seconds, simply by pressing its retaining lug with a screwdriver, sliding the light forward, and unplugging the electrical connection.

My turn signal and headlight are 2 separate assemblies though I know they can be bought as one. In the write up that Jeff posted I copied what needs to be done above. Problem where is the retaining lug? I think it is between the assembly and the fender from a pic I have seen. I may wait until I see the new assembly in a day or two. Thanks guys.
Anyone know where to get inexpensive headlight assemblies for an SLK(mine) with the XENON lights? I don't know why the assembly, no ballast or bulbs should be more than the regular lighting. I am talking the lens(mine are faded/cloudy) and the reflector. Then use the same bulb and ballast/all old parts except for the lens and reflector. What am I not understanding? Can't see paying hundreds for a XENON assembly with no hardware! Mark

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It really sounds like Mark is trying to remove the turn signal pod that is part of the headlight assembly.

The entire headlight assembly needs to be removed, it is 3 screws and then it easily slides out. The turn signal pod attaches to the side. I can't paste search results from this current computer, so all I can say is look in the Mod section for people with Spyderlight installations, someone has taken pictures of the steps. I swapped out my headlights, that is how I know it is 3 screws and a really simple procedure. I just didn't write it down ;)
My headlight and turn signal are two different assemblies. I now have the new turn signal assembly in hand. It has 2 1" long "spikes" and 2 clips that would attach on the headlight assembly. There is also an odd circular section right next to the prongs for the wiring harness. the spikes have movable clips next to them also that slide. I'm sure this is simple once it is done once. i need assistance with the "once"! I'll check on removing the entire headlight.
On Benzworld they show where a screwdriver would go, somewhat, to release a clip that allows the signal assembly to be removed without the headlight! back out there!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got it. Just pop the hood and near/above the signal assembly is a circular opening. Just push down with a screwdriver or pencil and the signal pops out. Done.
I would suggest that if anyone needs to change a light to get genuine Bosch as I did not and the quality and fit could be better. Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.