Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· *Registered
2001 SLK320
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SLK320 has 137,000 miles on it and shifts smoothly and never had any problems. My service shop say's I should have the filter changed. I told them I heard changing Trans fluid can cause slips in a AT. They said no flush of fluid just change the filter! Should I do this?

· Administrator (Canada)
23,819 Posts
Well, do a sniff test:
From a search:

Fresh transmission fluid tends to smell sweet or tart. When that smell turns burnt, your transmission fluid has broken down and the system is burning too hot, leading to an increase in friction and corrosive activity in the engine.

and

What does burning transmission fluid look like?

Healthy transmission fluid should be relatively clear or pink in color. If your transmission fluid is deep red or brown, your transmission fluid is old and most likely causing extra damage within your transmission. If it is dark brown, that is a sign you have burnt transmission fluid from overheating.

· **Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
9,057 Posts
I told them I heard changing Trans fluid can cause slips in a AT
Only if it's done by a numpty. Yet another internet / bar room mechanic myth.

They said no flush of fluid just change the filter! Should I do this?
Wot ? So they are gonna put the old Oil back in ?

I don't advocate flushing machines no, but complete Fluid Change, Pan Gasket & Filter (Genuine MB, but if you really must then Febi - Bilstein Kit) and a new Connector Pilot Bushing, (Genuine MB only) every 80k Miles.

FWIW I buy the Fluid and Parts from MB cheaper than Febi - Bilstein kits, and definitely don't go for Meyle or other "billy no mates no brand junk parts" or you will be sorry ;)

Topical post this ;) ....

I just did a 6 speed ZF Auto in customers BMW X3 today, car drove fine prior to doing it at 130k miles, but the Trans just felt much slicker afterwards, noticeably better !!
On the BMW, BMW don't make their own Trans like MB, so I got the parts and oil from ZF who make the Transmissions via one of the UK ZF Parts Distributors as they were a bittie cheaper than BMW Stealership who are obviously selling ZF Parts in BMW packaging ;)

I've also got 10lt of MB Fluid and all genuine MB Parts to do a full Oil service on the 7G Tronic Trans in our AMG E Class Wagon this w/e or next week, depending upon weather, as if it's dry I have outside jobs like wood staining etc to do ;)

· *Registered
1,085 Posts
@carcrazy2015

I am not pointing fingers, nor judging.

I am asking a question, have you ever replaced ONLY oil filter?

Not being a jerk, but change the garage/mechanic that has these kind of thoughts.

With very, very old sense of humour, no perfume can substitute a bar of soap!

· *Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
3,277 Posts
When I went to boot camp, many ions ago, we were issued boondockers to wear. observed everyone only polishing the toe of the boot. I asked my sarge if I only needed to polish the toe and not the whole boot, his reply "son when you take a dump, do you only wipe 1/2 your butt?"
Don't mean anything derogatory but why only do 1/2 the job???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts