Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change the wheels and tyres soon. According to the manual recommendation, it suggest changing to 17''. My car is fitted with 18'' at the moment. Do I need to change the car computer setting when I change to smaller tyres? any idea how much will it cost to change the setting?
Many thanks!

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
No you don't have to change settings...as the overall diameter of the wheel/tyre will be the same within a percent or so. Essentially you are going backwards to what many do - stepping up one size; you're stepping down one (your sidewall will be taller, on a smaller rim).

eg 235/35/18 = 215/50/17 (this is just a swag, google tire/tyre ratios and there are numerous sites that will give you the correct size)

The other thing you will need, of course, is rims/wheels. Might I suggest you get matching wheels & tyres, which will permit you to rotate them season to season (sometimes you get rebates buying four of the same size). Unless you have an AMG, clearing the brake calipers is not usually an issue; narrower tyres is actually better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I'll get 4 exactly same wheels and tyres exactly like the manaul suggest. Mine is a AMG style but not the AMG 55. So I take it the brakes should be fine right?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.