Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

A while ago I posted http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/31678-time-service-slk-320-but-i-am-not-sure-what-service-necessary.html and got some great replies. So now I want to perform one of the most important DIYs there:

Replace all the latches due to leaking. $4158.00 *This is not a typo - the car is worth $12,000 so this cost seemed a bit exaggerated

To which an amazing user replied: Can be a DIY job for about $30.

Does anybody have any tips in regards to how to repair these latches? I searched the forum and found 0 except http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-general-discussion/14986-my-fix-roof-not-moving-during-opening-procedure.html.

My hydraulic system is currently filled with fluid but I have not opened the top since the shop actually put it into place. I know there is a large leak on the passenger side and will take photos to put here today of the exact spot. Last time I opened the top it:
A) Opened very, very slowly
B) Opened fully
C) When I tried to close it only got half-way and I saw a large quantity of oil leaking all over the place from that particular spot

So now I am sadly afraid to even try opening it and have not tried in two months.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,207 Posts
moving your post to the r170 general discussion section. the diy section is for already established diys on a certain procedure

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Use the search feature. There are loads of threads about rebuilding the hydraulic cylinders. Can be a DIY if you are so inclined. If you are leaking hydraulic fluid, that's the issue. If you have water leaks, that's likely just some old hardened rubber seals that might need to be attended to.

Probably not a good idea to open the top any more than needed if it is shooting out hydraulic fluid when you do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.