Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dome lights are W5W lamps that are beginning to darken and the thought was to replace them with LEDs, clean up the contacts in the module and, at the same time, fit a dashcam hard-wired into the area.

Quick questions for anyone who has changed their dome lights for LED equivalents. How do your LED lamps cope with the fade-in and fade-out of the lights as you open the door or after you close the door and turn the key in the ignition? Is the 'fade' a straight voltage change or is it PWM-based?

Thanks

·
Registered 2002 SLK 230 R170
355 Posts
Hi,
Works perfectly on my 02 230k.

I did a straight swop for some Blue Colour ones .

Helps with keeeping vision at night though not as good as red for this.

Not a moments prob;em since i did it 15 months ago.

Regards

Mike

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,372 Posts

·
Registered 2000 SLK200K
358 Posts
I use and very happy with osram ledriving w5w leds for my interior. they dim perfectly if you use normal halogen bulb in the trunk. probably because they are in the same circuit, if I install also led in the trunk then the dimming effect is NOT perfect and it is somehow influenced and sometimes flashes once during window operation!!!

osram has 2 options for led w5w, premium and standard. I checked both and prefer standard for interior and also in headlights. (which is a perfect match with my Osram D2R CBI)

The premium has a yellowish/green color effect near to the egde of the light pattern which I really don't like.

Attachments

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use and very happy with osram ledriving w5w leds for my interior. they dim perfectly if you use normal halogen bulb in the trunk. probably because they are in the same circuit, if I install also led in the trunk then the dimming effect is NOT perfect and it is somehow influenced and sometimes flashes once during window operation!!!

osram has 2 options for led w5w, premium and standard. I checked both and prefer standard for interior and also in headlights. (which is a perfect match with my Osram D2R CBI)

The premium has a yellowish/green color effect near to the egde of the light pattern which I really don't like.
Thanks for that, Murat. I was looking at the Osram lamps too, so I'll be wary of the diffraction you note.

I want to add an LED lamp in the boot as that light is so poor so maybe I'll add a resistor to the circuit to keep the load up.

Cheers.

Sent from my Xperia when my back was turned

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
On my list of jobs, is to install a second trunk lamp on the right side.

I bought one second hand and if I carefully cut a hole identical to the left side in the rear centre trim, it will just snap in and all I have to do is run wires.
Two is better than one as when I obstruct one with luggage or hands, the other is still good.
Maybe I should leave one standard and have one as an LED to avoid the resistance issue with the LED?

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK32 AMG
620 Posts
So from what I have read (thank you for the search link JB), you don't need to rewire/solder anything!?

you can literally just plug the LED's straight into the sockets that are already there?

This is next on the list!

Cheers

RLander

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On my list of jobs, is to install a second trunk lamp on the right side.

I bought one second hand and if I carefully cut a hole identical to the left side in the rear centre trim, it will just snap in and all I have to do is run wires.
Two is better than one as when I obstruct one with luggage or hands, the other is still good.
Maybe I should leave one standard and have one as an LED to avoid the resistance issue with the LED?
I'll look at this when I play this weekend. Osram lamps arriving tomorrow. I've also got led lamps to play with in the boot.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So from what I have read (thank you for the search link JB), you don't need to rewire/solder anything!?

you can literally just plug the LED's straight into the sockets that are already there?

This is next on the list!

Cheers

RLander
They are the same size and shape as the bulbs they replace so very easy to do.
You can buy kits on eBay that have all of the bulbs you need to swap them all over (including licence plate ones), including a plastic pry tool to remove the trim.

A cheap and easy mod that modernises the interior more than you might expect.

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
584 Posts
I'm looking at the photo of your car. I have the same colour and the same grill. I added a forth bar to the grill by fixing some alloy angle under the lip of the bonnet and fixing chrome styling strip of the same width to it. I also changed the headlights to clear "Depo" units, They look sensational and thoroughly modern. I also raised the front number-plate to reveal the whole intake. I just love the look of my SLK, now.

David

·
Banned
431 Posts
I've change mines too, a little brighter than stock, they do flash very briefly on window open/close, strange at first times, but you get used to it. put on the boot too, and add another on the right side (slk230k/99 only has one) cut the plastic, and its nice, wired it with the existing

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The lamps haven't arrived yet so no playing for me. However, I do plan to add some footwell lighting and a dashcam at the same time so I may be a tad busy after the rugby this afternoon....

I also changed the headlights to clear "Depo" units,
Projectors or the Crystal ones? I tried the Crystal ones but sent them back. I'm not sure about the Projector ones. Will have to see.

I also raised the front number-plate to reveal the whole intake.
Now there's a thought....

Do you have pictures of your ride?

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is there a DIY thread on this?
I could make a DIY on today's work, if it helps. I'm doing more than a straight lamp swap so perhaps if I am careful I can make three DIYs in one.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK32 AMG
620 Posts
I could make a DIY on today's work, if it helps. I'm doing more than a straight lamp swap so perhaps if I am careful I can make three DIYs in one.
I would really appreciate it bud. I know it;s a day late, but I don't suppose you got the chance did you?

Sorry I was working all day yesterday and for a few hours this morning.

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would really appreciate it bud. I know it;s a day late, but I don't suppose you got the chance did you?
I didn't get round to it yesterday but did do it today. And I took photos. So yes. There will be a DIY. It isn't hard. Believe me.

And so bright!!

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use and very happy with osram ledriving w5w leds for my interior. they dim perfectly if you use normal halogen bulb in the trunk. probably because they are in the same circuit, if I install also led in the trunk then the dimming effect is NOT perfect and it is somehow influenced and sometimes flashes once during window operation!!!.
they do flash very briefly on window open/close
I agree - the dimming isn't bad, but it's not perfect and there is the occasional flash as the windows go up and down. I've got a non-CANBUS LED in the boot at the moment which I will change for a CANBUS type LED when it stops raining to see if it makes any difference.

And I took photos. So yes. There will be a DIY.
DIY's posted as promised.

·
Banned
431 Posts
I've change mines too, a little brighter than stock, they do flash very briefly on window open/close, strange at first times, but you get used to it. put on the boot too, and add another on the right side (slk230k/99 only has one) cut the plastic, and its nice, wired it with the existing
here are some pics of mine's, and the 2nd light in trunk that i had, the same one as the original, it was on my clk trunk, had changed its a big trunk, and the light was very little! so put a cob bar inside, now when i open the trunk, looks like day..

Attachments

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
here are some pics of mine's, and the 2nd light in trunk that i had, the same one as the original, it was on my clk trunk, had changed its a big trunk, and the light was very little! so put a cob bar inside, now when i open the trunk, looks like day..
That does look plenty bright enough! Good call for the COB lamps in the boot. It's certainly worth doing both sides, too.

I've just been outside to Silkie and I have to say that the new lights in the dome light are very bright indeed - and a pleasing cool colour too!

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
584 Posts
The lamps haven't arrived yet so no playing for me. However, I do plan to add some footwell lighting and a dashcam at the same time so I may be a tad busy after the rugby this afternoon....

Projectors or the Crystal ones? I tried the Crystal ones but sent them back. I'm not sure about the Projector ones. Will have to see.

Now there's a thought....

Do you have pictures of your ride?
Yes, look at #116 of this thread :-

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/411617-cheap-auto-roof-speed-bypass.html

David

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.