Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finisher changing out the plugs on my R170. Prior to doing it I had read a lot about how hard it can be and how you need a special 5/8" universal plug wrench. Well I happened to have one but found the job easy to do without it, in fact I did try it but didn’t needed it, at all.

This is what I used

Torque wrench 3/8” drive

3/8” * 8” ratchet

3/8” *3” extension

5/8” plug wrench * 1/2" Dive

5/8" plug wrench * 3/8" Drive (Used on the two back Plugs ONLY

1/2”*3/8 adaptor

T30 Torz Wrench

And I made the wrench to get the plug boots off and on.

It also took just under 2 hours to complete the job using the above tools. Hope this will help others out when thinking of doing this job.

Pictures of took below

:tu:

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not sure what the 5/8 universal plug wrench is, but I used the same tool you did except I had the MB Boot Puller. I agree, they worked well. Thanks for posting the photo of tools used. I would have loved to have seen this photo as a guide of what is needed before I started.

It probably would have saved a few dozen trips back and forth to get the right tools :tu:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, I know what you are talking about. I actually had one of those in my tool kit, I tried to use that and it made it much more difficult than using the traditional one. Could not feel what I was doing and could not get the right angle to tighten or loosen the plugs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts