Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, folks, just wanted to share couple pictures regarding the trunk light. I know some people are wondering what type of bulbs to use and how to open the plastic cover properly (like me :))
My car is 2003 SLK 230

All you have to do is to pry it off with a little flat head screwdriver or any suitable tool. I used prying tools from my iPhone set when I was changing the cracked screen ;-)

You can see a bulb that's already replaced.

Here's the bulb I used (compared to OEM). It's an error-free festoon LED 42mm bulb if you want to search for it on Ebay

The light output of these LEDs is way better than the stock ones!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Trunk light

Just followed the helpful pics for changing boot/trunk light. None of my connections were attached so not surprising it didn't work. Thanks for pictures just what was needed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Trunk light switch location?

Hello Jason, do you happen to know where the light switch is located? I bought my SLK with the bulb removed. I believe that when the bulb is replaced the light stays on after trunk is closed. The battery doesn't seem to like that. :Beer:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Jason, do you happen to know where the light switch is located? I bought my SLK with the bulb removed. I believe that when the bulb is replaced the light stays on after trunk is closed. The battery doesn't seem to like that. :Beer:
My trunk light switch depends on the reading lights located by the rear view window. For example if you turn it to position "Light when doors open" it will also activate the light in the trunk when you open it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Trunk switch

Thanks for the info, I thought there might be a separate switch on the trunk latch or hinge. The interior lights work fine, I guess I'll have to get out the meter and track down the fault. May just duct tape a flashlight to the trunk lid if all else fails. Slap a MB decal on it to look official. Happy motoring!:burnout:::

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, I thought there might be a separate switch on the trunk latch or hinge. The interior lights work fine, I guess I'll have to get out the meter and track down the fault. May just duct tape a flashlight to the trunk lid if all else fails. Slap a MB decal on it to look official. Happy motoring!:burnout:::
Sorry, I'm not electrician. May be some other folks will jump in =)
I gave you all the info I could find. Besides I checked the EPC and the only parts I could find are the bulb and the plastic bulb holder for it =) No info regarding the trunk switch...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Trunk light

I also bought my SLK with the trunk light disconnected and thought myself very clever to reconnect and have it working perfectly.....however, strangely enough the battery died fairly quickly after this. I thought it was an old battery and replaced it - this also died fairly soon after!

I dont have a working trunk light any more but my car starts in the morning again :)

Havent located the switch which should disconnect the boot light when you close the lid so if anyone knows how it works please post a reply

·
Registered
30 Posts
Trunk twins

Ha ha! I think are cars are related. I got lucky and touched my bulb right after I opened the trunk. Burnt my finger so I figure something was a miss.

·
Registered Looking for an SLK
602 Posts
I have the same problem got a new lens as mine was split but the light still does'nt come on.

Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
That was the case with my SLK - replaced trunk light and battery failed - which in turn caused lots of other problems with alarm, central locking....I manage without a trunk light now :)

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Old-skool

Ok, I would like to draw similarities between the trunk light and the dome light.

From the circuit diagrams, it appears that when in full auto mode, botht eh dome light and trunk lights are turned on whenever any door/trunk is opened. This signal comes from the N10-3 CCM, which detects the open latch via the A37 PSE.

My PSE does not "exist" on teh bus, so cannot send these signals.

Hence my dome light works on the unlock command (which passes via the CCM to the PSE), but does not work when I open the door. (The door pin-switches are OK, since the clocks light and the alarm fires)

So my trunk light does not work on the unlock (no need) and I cannot link via the reading light switch (post-facelift function?), and is not driven by the trunk opening since the PSE cannot report it via the canbus to the CCM. Trunk switch works OK (fires alarm).

Debug process:
Open trunk, and check for light (Process entry!)
Check if trunk light is getting 12V (Might just be a holder problem)
Check trunk light bulb is good using meter or battery to test it lights. (Might just be a bulb problem)
Lock and alarm car. Unlock trunk with key, and confirm alarm fires when trunk is opened. (Shows trunk signal reaches PSE)
Reset alarm, and unlock car with remote (shows CCM talks to PSE over canbus)
Wait for dome light to go out, then open door. Dome light should re-light. (Shows PSE is talking to CCM)
We're now down to the circuitry within the CCM, and the wires leading to the bulb holder. Next stage is to find the pins coming out of the CCM to drive the trunk lamp. (TBD)

·
Registered
4 Posts
My '98 doesn't appear to have a trunk light at all. I'm assuming that the light would be mounted in the plastic access panel that covers the opening to the third brake light?

Would the wiring harness that feeds that light still be present if the light was not an option on the '98?

Thank you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.