Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The light bulb for the glovebox compartment is a Festoon 36mm. It's a similar light bulb used for license plate lighting.
I personally had one extra 42mm error-free LED festoon ones and used it instead of 36mm. It fits a little tightly in that socket but the little metal plate is pretty flexible =)

This pictures compares License plate/glovebox bulb vs. trunk bulb. Upper - glovebox/license plate. Bottom - trunk light.

To remove the plastic holder for the bulb gently pry it off from the right side with either a flat head screwdriver or any handy thin plastic tool. Again, I used the tool from the iPhone screen repair set. ;-D

Next, simply pull it to the right and it comes off. (I already replaced the bulb in this picture).

Here are two snaps (on the right) that hold plastic holder in place.

Replace the bulb with the proper size (Festoon 36mm) and you're done!

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
I also bought leds for my licensees plate light but there not error-free so the lights on, where did you get yours? and will the light still be on if i have HIDs?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,437 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also bought leds for my licensees plate light but there not error-free so the lights on, where did you get yours? and will the light still be on if i have HIDs?
I got mine from the Ebay. No errors whatsoever.

SAMSUNG No Error License Plate Light 3 SMD LED Mercedes R170 SLK230 SLK320 SLK32 | eBay

Considering the HID kit. I was looking for a good and not so expensive kit. I didn't want to buy cheap one off the Ebay and was researching for a couple weeks :). I came up with the https://www.theretrofitsource.com/
I was communicating with their customer support and they turned out pretty helpful. I sent them pictures of my head lights. And finally I decided to go with plug and play H1: Morimoto Elite HID System H1: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Component Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc
I chose 35 watt ballasts (so I don't get freaking got blocks :) and it will be more that enough from me. You need to select " Standalone Can-Bus harness" to avoid "bulb out error". Also, they guy suggested to get me some "pass throughs" for my head lights to make the installation even more easier. The kit cost me $150 + $11 shipping. Unfortunately,H1 harness was on the back order and it's supposed to arrive Aug 14-16, so I'm still waiting for my kit :(. As soon as it arrives, I'll post some pictures so you can see it.
I was aiming at D2S type, but I need to change my projectors to fit those. Well, maybe in some future I'll make a project by ripping out my head lights, mounting some nicely-looking projectors (theretrofitsource has different kinds) and substituting dull halo LED rings with Morimoto xB LED Angel Eyes. Loved those!!!:tu:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Finally ordered my interior LED lights. Trunk and glove box lights died so I might as well replace them all. Thanks for the instructions!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts