Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not something I'd even considered but my husband has apparently been researching this as we're taking my car to Spain in a couple of weeks.

He's heard contrasting stories about getting the lights adjusted to dip the opposite way so I was wondering if anybody here had any experience of it? I hadn't heard anything about it being a law, so hadn't really given it any thought.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,336 Posts

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
It is a law - we're talking Europe here!! As stated in the linked thread,there is a little lever that you can flick on the back of the light to change it to a RH dip. I must admit however, all I do is use the adjuster inside the car to point them as low down as possible - no one has flashed me yet, so it probably works.

·
98,336 Posts
youse guys have a law for everything. toilet seat up or down law?

·
98,336 Posts
I get it! the passenger lays on the hood and uses those paddles to change the path of the headlight! Cool!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
My suggestion is take it to your nearest dealer, they might do it for free.

There is a little lever but it's almost impossible to get to. My dealer eventually gave up and took out the headlamp on each side to do it. You should have seen the mechanics disappear when I took it to put it back for UK.:D:D

They didn't charge me and it must have took them an hour.

When I went the second time to Europe I didn't bother but got flashed quite a few times. I think the police may pull you if they spot you and it is an offence. Those plastic stick on things are no good for HID's

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is a law - we're talking Europe here!! As stated in the linked thread,there is a little lever that you can flick on the back of the light to change it to a RH dip. I must admit however, all I do is use the adjuster inside the car to point them as low down as possible - no one has flashed me yet, so it probably works.
That's what I was thinking of doing to be honest. We're staying in a very rural area that we know reasonably well, and it's also quite unlikely that I'll actually be doing any night time driving. Sounds like the lever is a right faff to get to, although I might ring the local Merc dealership to ask. If they'll do it without a charge then I'll go and see them, if they charge, I'll just dip low when necessary.

·
Registered 2008 SLK350
55 Posts
Don't know about the 170, but adjusting them on the 171 is a real pain. A couple of years ago, the dealer in Northampton tried to talk me through it but that failed so I took it in and 1 of the guys tried to show me but my hands are too big so he did it in the workshop and had to take a few 'bit's out to get access. I had to take it back when we returned to have them reset. They didn't charge but as it's a 50 mile round trip it enended up as a 2 hour outing and a couple of gallons of petrol each time.

You need to be aware that you can get caught out driving with the lights off during the day if you get pulled in for a document and equipment check (don't forget the hi-vis jackets, breathalysers in France etc) and your lights aren't adjusted - I'd go with the beam benders.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd go with the beam benders - at least you can say you tried then

and go with the 'je ne comprend pas Francais' excuse......LOL

Law over here says you have to have a 'useable compliable breathalyser' in the car (but there is no offence if you don't !! ????)
Also 2 x compliable high vis jackets that you can access WITHOUT getting out of your car

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.