Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on Ebay I saw lights that would change the color of the dash lighting from orange to white or blue, did a search found 1 thread about using a crossfire dash cover plate and scraping off the green to make it white, maybe my search wording was incorrect. It would be for a 2000 SLK230. Also I edited my profile to show vehicle and it does not show on my profile. Mark

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,207 Posts
Mark, I deleted your duplicate post

as far as your vehicle in your profile, are you doing it in the garage or in usercp?

Please update your vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘vehicle’.

don't forget to hit 'save'/submit

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With all the cool stuff you guys do to your cars I can't believe no one has tried this. Mark

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,207 Posts
Well, some would say that was too 'pimpy'.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've ordered and in fact received 'Warm White' T5 LED bulbs...Can't wait to put them in the dash n upload the pics...Will keep you posted...I wanted to maintain the originality but make it a wee bit brighter...hence the choice of warm white...:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Zack that's just what I was looking for. Let us know what it looks like when done. Mark

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I've ordered and in fact received 'Warm White' T5 LED bulbs...Can't wait to put them in the dash n upload the pics...Will keep you posted...I wanted to maintain the originality but make it a wee bit brighter...hence the choice of warm white...:)
Have you checked my post about T5 leds for the dash?
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-class-diy/24552-replacing-dash-instrument-lights-revised.html#post353913
I would also recommend not to use T10 bulbs since after couple weeks one bulb lost contact and now I need to disassemble it again =( My best advice is to order another set of B8.5D from superbrightleds.com to replace the T10 ones! :tu: Costs just $2.59 each and you need just 2 =)
B8.4D and B8.5D replace the hassle of swapping the bulbs, especially those B8.4D with (t5 wedge equivalent) which are soldered to the contacts...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I remember reading in a search about using a X Acto blade and scraping off the back of the instrument to make the light look whiter but I can't find it again. And I have read about LEDs, now I have a bulb acting up I have to hit the dash to make it work and I thought this would be the time to do it. Thanks Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
So are the OEM bulb inherently tinted orange/yellow? I want to replace them with LEDS and keep it as stock color as possible. So should I order the whites or yellows LEDs?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
So are the OEM bulb inherently tinted orange/yellow? I want to replace them with LEDS and keep it as stock color as possible. So should I order the whites or yellows LEDs?
No, the OEM bulbs are not tinted yellow. These are regular filament bulbs. The cluster itself gives that "yellow" look. I got LEDs and it just got brighter, but yellow is still there =) You can try red. I don't know what effect you'll receive though =)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.