Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has background in racing. He insists that you can take a 6 speed manual from a crossfire and put it in my slk32 amg. Think I would love it as a six. But it can't be that simple. Anybody done this?

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
The R170 and the Crossfire share the same platform, brought about by the Daimler Chrysler merger. Therefore theoretically your brother is correct. That said, I have no experience with such a retrofit, and I'm sure that there would be some other issues that you would have to deal with. Regardless, if you head down this road take lots of pics !

Best Wishes,

·
Air Suspension Manager
631 Posts
When I had a VW Golf MK IV I have read a lot of information about transmission and engine swapping.
On VW platforms all V4 engine and transmissions where interchangeable with a V4 engine and transmission and all V6 were interchangeable with V6 parts.

If engine and transmission is compatible generally what you need to do is replace the transmission, wiring, Shifting mechanism, gear knob and some codding. You might guess this needs a lot of detailed work and you shouldn't let touch anyone who doesn't what he is doing and has the right coding tools for the job.

If I were you I would search for SLK32 transmission swapping.

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,238 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Will a 6 speed manual that was designed for 215 hp be able to handle a 150 HP increase? Will the clutch? I'm Curious also.

·
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the data card explanation..I found a guide on the R170 forum that explains the codes. You may search on the forum for you sons car.

On the horsepower issue, I will have to do a LOT of research before I even consider the change. Haven't had time to talk with my MB mechanic yet. Plus....I willhave to convince my wife.....that may be the biggest issue.

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,238 Posts

·
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did some checking...2005 Crossfire was available with th MB 3.2 supercharger, but only at 330 horse power. But I don't think I am gonna pursue this issue.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I did some checking...2005 Crossfire was available with th MB 3.2 supercharger, but only at 330 horse power. But I don't think I am gonna pursue this issue.
The SRT6 engine was the same as that in the SLK32. Literally the exact same.

The horsepower difference was on paper only; Chrysler down-rated it so as not to infringe on Mercedes turf.

Of course the SRT6s also shipped with the same 5G-Tronic that you have now, so that doesn't really help with your transmission search...

·
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For those inquiring minds. Found that a local guy changed two crossfire versions of the slk32 to manual 6 speeds. 6 speed from MB, after market 2 disc clutch (rate at 700 hp)' upgraded pulleys for more hp, and changed sensor for quicker turbo activation.

Parts cost 8,900, less what he sold the 6 speed automatics for. He kept one and sold the other. They are VERY happy....don't think for a minute I would do it..just FYI.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts