Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wiping the brake dust off my wheels a couple of times a week so I'm thinking about ceramic pads. Are there any disadvantages to them? I drive very "enthusiastically", but I don't track my car.

Thanks

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
57 Posts
I have no complaints. No dust compared to MB pads. You need to get the ceramic pads warmed up, a good hard stop and they grab that rotor after that. From what I have read, ceramic work well up to temps of 1200 degrees. Metallic pads will go past that temp. For every day driving and hard street driving you will be happy with the ceramic. The track forget it. I have no wear on my rotors and like the grip on that rotor when they are warmed up. Plus clean wheels. I can't see the ceramic not performing on the street.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Hey Pepper, contact ‘ForMyMercedes.com’ for Porterfield R4-S Carbon/Kevlar pads.
They outperform OEM pads hot or cold, are friendly to the rotors and most importantly are extremely clean.
Yes, they are spendy!
If you can not find a listing for your car, contact them; Porterfield will make pads for any application.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320 Wizard of ID
589 Posts
I've had good luck with Akebonos. Once they were bedded and hot I 'bout did a faceplant on the windshield.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you guys mean by "get them hot"? When I pull out f the drive way, just using them or do I need to do something before I hit the streets/traffic?

I really can't stand cleaning my wheels 2x or 3x/week. The car is my daily driver.

Thanks for the help,
Valerie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.