Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions that I haven't seen addressed in the forum regarding replacing the MB OEM brake pads with ceramic pads.

1. My experience is that ceramic pads do stop better than semi-metallic pads. However this extra stopping power generates more heat. Has anyone had problems with warping rotors due to increased heat?

2. The brakes on an SLK are carefully balanced by the MB engineers. Does changing the composition of the front brakes upset the braking balance between the front and rear of the car? Has anyone who puts SLK's on a track had a problem with ceramics on just the front?

·
Registered
829 Posts
1/ No issue with discs but then i found ceramics to be no better than semi metallics but they make much less visible dust

2/ A lotus has brake balance by design ie no load limiter and yes I could tell the difference in front /rear pad selection. The SLK is nothing like as sensitive so pad selection isnt going to make much difference to brake balance unless you put real rubbish in then it just wont stop anyway. Most ordinary motors are over braked at the front and the slk is no exception like black series slk.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I am pursuing PAGID yellow endurance pads as recommended to me be a hardcore Boxster S racer as a great replacement that offers stock street longevity but a lot better performance on the track. He assures me that properly bedded in, they will last as long as the stock brakes on the street and not assult my discs.

According to Pagid's web site, the R171's front brake system is Brembo and the rear is Teaves.

Looking them up at RennStore, I find:

RS 14 BLACK
This is a medium high friction value ceramic type compound with very good modulation, high fade resistance, low heat conductivity, and a good wear rate up to a temperature of 650°C (1.200°F).
It is kind on discs, with visible grooving, but a limitation of hairline cracks.
Applications: NASCAR, CART, F3, Touring cars, GT cars, WSC, Trans Am and Rally.

RS 19 YELLOW
Best compound for endurance racing on the basis of the RS 14. A slight reduction of the friction value improves the modulation. Nevertheless, the friction value is enough for cars without power-assisted brake system and ensures comfortable low effort on the brake pedal. Constant temperatures up to 600°C (1.100°F) are possible. The combination of friction value, fading stability and low wear rates on pads and discs realised with this pad compound is unmatched up to now.
Due to its outstanding wear rate and driveability also used at many sprint races.
Application: All endurance racing cars from group N (Speed-WC, Grand Am Cup) up to GT and Sport-Prototypes.
A multiple winner of Daytona 24h, Le Mans 24h, Sebring 12h, Spa 24 h, Nürburgring 24h, often with no pad change and usually no disc change.

·
Registered
829 Posts
rs 14 eat discs and can deposit causing judder issues. The best Pagid I have found for road and track is rs 42 blue. I havent tried the ceramic so cant comment.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
rs 14 eat discs and can deposit causing judder issues. The best Pagid I have found for road and track is rs 42 blue. I havent tried the ceramic so cant comment.
Have you tried the yellows?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Found this scary line about the Pagid pads....

"Since Pagid pads tend to "out-gas" we recommend using these pads with a new gas-slotted or cross-drilled rotor for the best performance. Pagid brake pads are not compatible with previously used rotors, especially if used with a carbon or Kevlar based race pad."

·
Registered
986 Posts
RacerCub,

Do you have details of the exact application of the pagid pads. Or are they simply SLK fitting pagid yellows?

I ask because I would like to get hold of the pads specs in order to see if another brand stock the shape requied for the specific brembo caliper without realising it is applicable tp the slk.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.