Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to central london over the weekend - that place is crazy for cars. Just on the 10 minute cab ride from the train station to the hotel I counted 8 slks including 2 r171 55s. Stopped counting them after that, as they seemed to be everywhere.

On cab rides across the city we saw countless ferraris, lambos and an slr parked in the side streets next to cars costing less than a service on those things. Saw more fancy metal on the road, with the McLaren 12c's and audi r8's making regular appearances.

It's a great place for car lovers. Pity the gumball 3000 is there next weekend rather than when we were there, as I would have liked to see that going down regent street.

·
Registered 2001 SLK200
634 Posts
Went to central london over the weekend - that place is crazy for cars.
There was an article this week on Jalopnik about the Brabus store in London and the G Wagon trying to make its way in the London streets.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/youll-probably-get-kicked-out-of-the-new-brabus-store-i-1577422148/all

Anyway I remember when I was living in SW London few people had cars above their means. It was the early naughties and remember spotting quite a lot of neglected premium cars. Just enough for the loan not enough to replace the tyres.

On the contrary in Southern Europe cars are not a way of showing your wealth. I should say unfortunately because there is also a lack of respect for the property of others.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Outside our village pub (population - about 300 ) - in the poor, impoverished NE of England, we often get 5-6 SLK's parked up!!

Here's 2 of them:-

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
...and 911s are a dime a dozen. As noted lots of Rooskies and desert folk in London hiding their coin.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Definitely, if you love cars, you'll love to walk around central London.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
15,316 Posts
Quicker than driving :D

Not unless you walk quickly!

According to insurers Direct Line ....

The average traffic speed in central London is 10.06 mph! The slowest rate in the country.

Drivers in Peterborough move fastest at 19.25 mph, with York next at 17.6 mph.

Thursdays are worst for jams.

Glad I live in the Highlands! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts