Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Came out of work tonight and tried to open the car with remote, nothing happened. Tried to open by the key and opened the door, alarm and hazards went off.
Tried starting the car , it started for about 5 seconds then died. All lights were on on dash , but it then when i tried again did nothing . I suspected the remote so I rang my wife for to bring the spare remote , but that was the same ?

The AA are going to come tomorrow but in the mean time , has anyone any ideas , what could be wrong, where is the fuse for the central locking pump?

I think I found the fuse 26 in the fuse box offside , it was ok.

It was below zero all day ?

Best regards,
4johng.

·
Founding Member 2006
115,443 Posts
your owner's manual should cover that. I believe it says something about battery not being good

you have all the clues.
cold weather
how old is battery?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery is 2 and a half years old , however it has been stood in the garage for 3.5 weeks ?. But started up this morning ok

Will it be all ok to jump lead to see if it is the battery?

·
Founding Member 2006
115,443 Posts
i would never jump start a mercedes if that is the question :D
do you have a charger to charge the battery?
going forward, get a ctek 4.3 or similar and charge at least once a week

you might have a bad battery/bad cell or cells. I would get it tested to include starting voltage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that,
I will take the battery charger in to work in the morning , take the battery off the car and charge it up at work

Thank you again for your Input.

Best Regards,
4johng

·
Founding Member 2006
115,443 Posts
let us know how it goes

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,

Good news the car is back ,all good.

The AA man came this morning. Hooked up a battery pack , and no change.

He then whent to jump start off his AA van ( I have checked in the manual ,it is all ok to jump start my model as long as the procedure is adhered to)

He knew that , and went ahead but still no change , he then proceeded to disconnect the battery which reset the system and while the jump leads were connected I could press the fob which opened the doors and turned the alarm off. (The alarm was continuously going off as it has its own battery)
The car could then be started. I left it running fo 30 mins and then took it for a run for 30 mins.

The 4 weeks garaged without a run took its toll

Many thanks to jbanks15 for pointing it out ,as I have not started the car for weeks before and not had any trouble , however , lights and all was on being used in 30mins traffic jam this time.
Regards,
4johng.

·
Registered 2003 SLK200
129 Posts
The 4 weeks garaged without a run took its toll
I don't use it much in the winter so I keep mine on an Optimate. I have a couple so rigged up a DIN socket on a plate near the battery so I can use my chargers that have a DIN plug end for the bike.
I plan to move the socket near the front for better access.

·
Founding Member 2006
115,443 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.