Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me for being new to both SLKs and forums...

I have a right hand drive 2003 230 Kompressor which was working fine until yesterday when it threw a wobbly - engine wouldn't stop when ignition switched off - although it stop /starts correctly now.

Except neither the roof works nor the central locking. Fuse 7 under the bonnet (driver's side) had blown but replacing it makes no difference.

The central locking no longer works so I cannot open the fuel filler nor can I open the boot. Tried the key into the boot but does not turn either way - have tried WD40 and rattling the handle......

From reading up on SLKs it appears a fuse may have blown for the central locking but I cannot locate it. I'm presuming it is in the boot?

The two initial problems I'm looking for solutions on are (1) releasing the fuel filler cap and (2) opening the boot lid.

Have read through many postings which almost cover this but not quite.

Can anybody assist?

Caiptean

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from NE England!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.

In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.

If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.

Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.

New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.

Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.

Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you,

Woolly - Founder & Super Moderator.

·
17,375 Posts
Unless the lock has been changed, the boot lid will eventually open with the key. Keep on wiggling the key in the lock, whilst flooding it with WD-40 (after it opens, use a spray-on graphite lubricant to re-lube the lock). Once you get in the boot, you can open the fuel filler cap by removing the trim panel and getting to it that way.

Whilst you're in there, check the PSE pump (the vacuum pump that operates the central locking ) for water damage -a common problem on R170's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice re-lock. I've been trying to loosen it by wiggling the key /WD40 although not getting too far.

Are there any other non-destructive methods of gaining entry?

Do you know where the fuses are for the central locking?
(are they in the boot?).

All assistance much appreciated!

Caiptean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Michael,

... and I thought it was sunny here on England's South Coast!

Good to say hello!

Never got further west than Ohio but used to have a '59 Fleetwood, '56 Country Sedan, '60 Impala flat-top and so on. Everyday car is a '68 Morris Traveller (woody) running an original A-series engine but tuned to 130bhp - far easier to fault-find! :)

·
Super Moderator
14,077 Posts
Welcome and thanks for joining.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Morning Livefreeordie,

Thanks for your reply although slightly confused.

The fuse listing at the rh end of the dash is as follows:

1. 15A Fog lamp
2. 7.5A Fog lamp
3. 7.5A Right parking /tail lamp
4. 7.5A Left parking /tail lamp
5. 7.5A Left high beam
6. 7.5A Licence plate /instrument cluster lighting /symbol lighting
7. 7.5A Right high beam /Head beam indicator lamp
8. 15A Left low beam
9. 15A Brake lamp /(Tempomat cruis control)
10. 15A Right low beam
11. Not assigned
12 15A Reversing lamp /turn signal lamp (Control, rear wiper /anti-dazzle rear view mirror Control /parking aid)

None appear to relate to the central locking?

But then it gets really confusing if I look at the German fuse list on the reverse of the card. I don't speak German but can see the fuse ratings in the list differ with fuse one (not eleven) appearing to be 'not assigned'. However, the fuse ratings clearly relate to the English list.

(Have also checked those fuses under bonnet close to the bulkhead on the rhs).

Kind regards,

Caiptean

·
Premium Member
11,306 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Welcome from the East Mids

When my central locking failed I replaced the battery in the key fob, that sorted it ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
M4rCu5 et al,

Thank you all for your welcomes.

I tried changing the keyfob battery first - a Mercedes main dealer tested it as working. It would have been nice if it was that simple.....

(Good thought though)!

Still jiggling the lock can of WD40 in hand but appear to have reached an empass either in opening the boot or locating the CDL fuse....

Kind regards,

Caiptean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ongoing CDL woes

Thank you all for your welcomes although I'm still no nearer to being able to access my boot /manual fuel filler release or locate the CDL fuse (I'm surprised nobody is aware of it's location).

In terms of the boot lock they key will only turn part way; it being suggested that within the mechanism there is a small spring loaded 'cam' that permits the boot handle to release the boot lock (engages via a rod with the catch). This cam being turned by the key lock.

Is this understanding correct?

Could it be that it is this cam that has seized rather than the lock?

Does anybody know of any solutions (non-destructive or otherwise) for this or is problem getting too technical?

Certainly I'd like to hear it anyone has had a similar problem and how they resolved it.

As for the location of that elusive fuse.....

Kind regards,

Caiptean

·
17,375 Posts
I still think that you will find the problem is with the PSE pump, and not a blown fuse. You say the lock barrel is now turning "part way" - is this more than it did before? If so, keep on trying. There have been members in the past who tried for ages, and eventually got the lock freed off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me where the key wouldnt turn left/right so I pushed the trunk down by sitting on it while trying to wiggle the key and obviously put tons of wd40

and pressing the trunk down enough for the actuator for get back into position helped me turn the key

1 - 18 of 18 Posts