Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

just fixed my cupholders looks great and i was plugging my iphone charger into cigerette lightter and the entire sliding tray pushed down and is loose any one know how to repair this:(

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
This is just a guess on my part from what I remember seeing of mine. I really don't know for sure so you may want to get a small mirror and flashlight to see if this will work.

I think it just travels alone the slots on either side.

You may try opening it most the way, (even tho it is not in the track), then pushing it up back into those slots. as you pull it forward watch to make sure it is traveling in the slots.

You may find more info about it here...
http://www.buellwinkle.com/r170/default.htm

I would be careful not to crack it while doing this.

SLKman:tu:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

This is just a guess on my part from what I remember seeing of mine. I really don't know for sure so you may want to get a small mirror and flashlight to see if this will work.

I think it just travels alone the slots on either side.

You may try opening it most the way, (even tho it is not in the track), then pushing it up back into those slots. as you pull it forward watch to make sure it is traveling in the slots.

You may find more info about it here...

I would be careful not to crack it while doing this.

T

Thanks for getting back with me, not sure if i explained it right i am not just talking about the little sliding lid, its the whole compartment(sunglass?) and cigarette cuby pushed down and now its loose and not held by anything:(

·
2,093 Posts
OK maybe someone here with a diagram of the console can chime in.

I have searched and am unable to find a diagram of the center console area.:(

Sounds like it is held up by some sort of clips.

I'll keep searching for it.

·
2,093 Posts
Step 22 thru 26 shows how to take it apart. Maybe you can figure it out from there.

Go to disassembly, then Dashboard and Center Console, step 22 is where it shows how to access the other two screws.

You have to get underneath the shifter surround for two more screws...
You have to get underneath the shifter surround for two more screws. This is a multi-step process.

1) Remove the chrome ring surrounding the shifter. It should pull straight up fairly easily.

2) Remove the outer wood-trim piece. This one is much tougher to get off. There are four tabs holding it in place, two on each side, and they are quite stubborn to get free. You don't have to totally remove this piece, just get it loose from it's mounts. You'll be able to see two screws that are holding down the front of the panel.

3) Remove the two screws that hold down the front of the center tunnel.

4) If you need to completely remove the tunnel, you need to pull off the emergency brake handle cover. This is a friction fit, and again is stubborn to remove.

5) There are tabs at the front of the center console on both sides of the tunnel. To clear the tabs, you need to pull up about an inch, and then you'll be able to slide the tunnel back, and it's free.

You'll still be connected by the wiring to the mirror switch, the roof switch, and the cigarette lighter. These plugs are easy to remove.

Regarding the E brake cover
A few drops of liquid soap inside the cover & it will slide off easy.

ps. I am finding this info in other places and cut~n~pasting it here. Thanks to all that have contributed.:Beer:

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,527 Posts
Thanks for getting back with me, not sure if i explained it right i am not just talking about the little sliding lid, its the whole compartment(sunglass?) and cigarette cuby pushed down and now its loose and not held by anything:(
The part you are talking about is held in by 4 small screws, and you have to remove the entire console to get at them. I did it when I repainted my console. You can glue it back into place or buy a new one, http://cgi.ebay.com/MERCEDES-BENZ-SLK-ASHTRAY-HOUSING-NEW-A1706800652_W0QQitemZ370312056354QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5638518e22#ht_2777wt_938 yes its pricey.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The part you are talking about is held in by 4 small screws, and you have to remove the entire console to get at them. I did it when I repainted my console. You can glue it back into place or buy a new one, http://cgi.ebay.com/MERCEDES-BENZ-SLK-ASHTRAY-HOUSING-NEW-A1706800652_W0QQitemZ370312056354QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5638518e22#ht_2777wt_938 yes its pricey.

Thanks so much that is the exact problem i have, do you have instructions in removing console. I was able to look inside and found the little plastic ears broken off i was pushing down too hard trying to get my phone charger onto cigarette lighter i am afraid if i glue it it will break or if i buy a new one will break it again. was not made for cell phone devices i guess just to light you cigarette:tazz: thanks for your excellent help:rockon:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.