Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't stand the stock cup holders. And the skinny pocket in the console did me no good. So I bought a console from a wrecked car for $10 and went to work. First thing was to dissessemble everything. Took a die grinder with a carbide burr. I opened two holes to install eBay cup holders. Bonded them in with epoxy glue then took epoxy puddy to blend them in so they looked stock. The new bought colonial red satin spray paint and painted to match then installed in car.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks really good, as if it came out of the factory like that! Well done!

Did you relocate the 12v socket to somewhere else...? I want to add cupholders in the same place but can't decide whether it's worthwhile to retain a 12v socket somewhere...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I moved the lighter plug to the shifter area but it doesn't fit that well there I may replace the plate I put the hole in and move it to the upper panel by the switches under the radio.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,085 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
272016851721 Is the eBay item number I bought. This is a 4 cup holders auction. I used 2 on this slk and am going to make something up with the other 2 for my wife?s cl55. She doesn?t like the cup holder in it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks great, almost like the console was made that way. I also like your idea of using the spray paint. I have had a fair amount of problems with my shifter though, and am very wary of having any drinks near it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And yes I allow drinks in my slk. It?s not like a Mercedes is anything more than just a car. It?s my daily comuter car. I payed $2000 for it and drive it like I stole it. I commute 70 miles each way every day. 10 miles of the drive is twisty mountain road and carve the crap out of it. The 1999 slk230 is not a fast car it doesn?t have all the bells and whistles of a cl. For the most part it?s a step up from a Mazda that?s about it. It?s fun to drive but I think any 2 seater convertible 4 cylinder car is about the same. There is no way I would spend the money to buy a new one, they are way overpriced. But a used one for a reasonable price I would get another. The car is not with out problems: electrical issues, crappy interior finish on the plastic, and expensive replacement parts to name a few. I do like the easy to work on aspect of the Mercedes cars. The high end cars are much nicer than these low end cars.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I very rarely ever spill drinks in my cars. In fact I can?t remember the last time I did. That being said I hope I have not jinxed myself.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,433 Posts
I almost lost a girlfriend because of those cup holders. She would set a 32 oz up there just before I would decide to do something "sports-car-like". after about the 3rd time, I learned to drive normal... oh no wait, I left her on the side of the road! my bad... memory these days...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.