Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 SLK250 (non sport package), with 17" wheels and was wondering where I can get new center caps and the size I would need, mine are a little worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,894 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Google 'Mercedes wheel centre/center caps' & there are many choices including some variations.
As I consider the badges a bit old fashioned & fussy I purchased a set that have a plain black background with a chrome
(? chrome effect) Mercedes star mounted on them because they match the black bodywork. A straight swop.
Whatever other colour my car had been I would be tempted to paint the background same as the body colour as a sort of token design link to earlier Mercedes whose hub caps/knave plates were part painted body colour.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I looked around some, none of them seem to last very long, so eventually I will get a set of 4 off ebay for about $8.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
and there the ones that dont last long poorly made and dont fit 100 %
For the extortionate cost of genuine Mercedes caps that equally seem to be poorly made and don't last very long, it is probably more economic to buy a new set of 'knock offs' every year.

I've noticed a similar issue with several other manufacturers wheel caps - not just Mercedes.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
For the extortionate cost of genuine Mercedes caps that equally seem to be poorly made and don't last very long, it is probably more economic to buy a new set of 'knock offs' every year.

I've noticed a similar issue with several other manufacturers wheel caps - not just Mercedes.
Not come across any poorly made genuine ones and ive bought a few and fitted them and my ones still look good as new .
After a while with constant alloy wheel jet wash with acid and uk roads and salting that would kill any cap off genuine or not.

As for the cheap ebay ones they just fall apart upon fitting . :grin:
The old saying you get what you pay for .

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Have to disagree based on personal experience. Three year old 172, 6K miles, original tyres so wheels have not been off, no acid cleaner used - all four showing signs of deterioration around the edges. They spoil the car.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Have to disagree based on personal experience. Three year old 172, 6K miles, original tyres so wheels have not been off, no acid cleaner used - all four showing signs of deterioration around the edges. They spoil the car.
The blue ones with the motiv around the edges do go sooner than the AMG star ones . [ if that is what you have had ]
The AMG ones are the ones to go for as they are all plastic and last have them on my A class 51 plate still looking good .

The aforementioned have a laquer type coating and fail underneath .

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
The blue ones with the motiv around the edges do go sooner than the AMG star ones . [ if that is what you have had ]
The AMG ones are the ones to go for as they are all plastic and last have them on my A class 51 plate still looking good .

The aforementioned have a laquer type coating and fail underneath .
Thanks, that's worth knowing.

Yup, mine are the blue laurel wreath ones. Will have to seek out the genuine AMG ones.

Problem is the rip off merchants are now not just copying the caps, they are also copying the MB boxes and labels as well:frown:

I guess best bet is MB parts dept:surprise:

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Thanks, that's worth knowing.

Yup, mine are the blue laurel wreath ones. Will have to seek out the genuine AMG ones.

Problem is the rip off merchants are now not just copying the caps, they are also copying the MB boxes and labels as well:frown:

I guess best bet is MB parts dept:surprise:
I had in my head reffering to the AMG star ones which for circa 2 + Years are still looking like new but mine is always garaged . :grin:

The wreath / silver blue all go even after a few years .

The local car wash people use wheel acid / industrial jet wash that just kills them and alloys .

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
If you have to buy via ebay look for the mercedes part number on underside of alloy cap if not on there there fake !

But yes they do show fake packaging also now .

·
Super Moderator
11,065 Posts
The local car wash people use wheel acid / industrial jet wash that just kills them and alloys .
Touchless washes are the worst for harsh detergent. But still, I only wash by hand with "car soap".

·
Super Moderator
11,065 Posts
You must be like Jeff--> dust only :tu:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Some fakes will also have the MB part number on the back, because the MB part was used to make a mold to produce the fakes.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Some fakes will also have the MB part number on the back, because the MB part was used to make a mold to produce the fakes.
Most i see are blank molds at the rear
And i came across 4 today at a classic car show in black .

If they have included the part numbers then thats a duplicate forgery and open to prosecution more so id imagine as its a direct copy complete with part numbers .

If you want original go main agent unless you know genuine from fake .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts