Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, spring is near!!!

But, the roads here are a mess, and that's putting it mildly. Three nor'easters , lots of snow, and swings of temperature have had the salt trucks and plows out and just chewing up the asphalt.
So now, the Cd player skips more frequently.
Question? Besides not driving, or not playing CD's or lowering the pressure in the tires, can the sensitivity of the player be adjusted?

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,056 Posts
Hello, spring is near!!!

But, the roads here are a mess, and that's putting it mildly. Three nor'easters , lots of snow, and swings of temperature have had the salt trucks and plows out and just chewing up the asphalt.
So now, the Cd player skips more frequently.
Question? Besides not driving, or not playing CD's or lowering the pressure in the tires, can the sensitivity of the player be adjusted?
If you have the original cd player from manufacture they were prone for jumping
I upgraded to a Alpine unit .
Rock solid and better audio sound upgrade .

It took a huge pot hole to jump i found .

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,402 Posts
Would you not be better off streaming your music via bluetooth, assuming your unit supports this?

John
John, he has a 2001 SLK 320. Question answered :D
no oem streaming or telephone or bluetooth or any other color tooth :D

·
97,402 Posts
True that my friend
I checked his datacard. he has this at the moment per his dc

254 RADIO MB AUDIO 30 - USA

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,085 Posts
There's not much I can suggest - other than:
  • Making sure the CD changer is solidly bolted to the chassis of the car
  • Playing a good quality lens cleaner CD a couple of times to make sure the laser and detector are as clean as possible
I know sometimes it's nice to stick with the OEM sound equipment but I for one would look strongly at a mechless head unit and use your smartphone to stream your music to the car. Much easier - and not that expensive to accomplish.

Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the 6 disc cd player in the trunk, and it skips too fairly easily; but not too much. I have over 2,000 CDs, and am an avid music collector. I really appreciate hearing the whole cd, not just a hit or 2 from the artist. I am not ready to go to the expense of streaming music. When, I listen to the radio, and hear a commercial too many, I just press the cd button.

For 2017 I bought: Bruno Mars, Portugal The Man, Imagine Dragons, Chain Smokers, and John Mayer.

·
Registered 2004 SLK230
19 Posts
When I still had a CD changer in the car, I found that giving it a good hard whack keeps it behaving for a little while. Asides from preventing it skipping for a few days, my solution also solves the “NO CD CHANGER” message

The thing is prone to skipping mostly because of where it is located in the trunk. On unforgiving roads, it makes listening to music almost unenjoyable.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I still had a CD changer in the car, I found that giving it a good hard whack keeps it behaving for a little while. Asides from preventing it skipping for a few days, my solution also solves the “NO CD CHANGER” message

The thing is prone to skipping mostly because of where it is located in the trunk. On unforgiving roads, it makes listening to music almost unenjoyable.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
The location of the CD player in the trunk certainly is not ideal. The SLK is totally stock, radio included, and I have no plans to change anything unless it's broken.
Has anyone heard of an internal adjustment in the CD player that might make a difference?
My son uses an adapter inserted into the cassette player to which he connects his ipod. That seems to be the easiest solution, transferable to any other older car in our family.

Funny how a"good hard whack" is usually the first tool used to diagnose anything mechanical or electronic. Even funnier is the fact that it often works, Fonz style.

If a hammer doesn't fix it, use a bigger hammer.

·
97,402 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions.
The location of the CD player in the trunk certainly is not ideal. The SLK is totally stock, radio included, and I have no plans to change anything unless it's broken.
Has anyone heard of an internal adjustment in the CD player that might make a difference?
My son uses an adapter inserted into the cassette player to which he connects his ipod. That seems to be the easiest solution, transferable to any other older car in our family.

Funny how a"good hard whack" is usually the first tool used to diagnose anything mechanical or electronic. Even funnier is the fact that it often works, Fonz style.

If a hammer doesn't fix it, use a bigger hammer.
CD changer bracket: will this work? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Does your CD changer skip? How to solve? Factory bracket effective? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.