Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,192 Posts
Pry, but Gently
There are a couple of reasons why your tape might get stuck in the car. If you're lucky, it's just because the belts that run the eject mechanism have gotten old and stretched with the passage of time. In that case, your tape will still try to eject, but might need a little bit of help to get itself up and out. You can do that with a long, slender flat-tip screwdriver, or anything of fairly similar shape. Hold down the eject button, and when the tape begins to rise, slide your prying tool underneath it and lift gently. Your tape should pop the rest of the way up so you can remove it.

when I've gotten cassettes stuck in car tape players in the past I was able to get them out by holding down the eject button and using a pair of needle-nose pliers to wiggle the cassette out. The eject button often raises the tape so it is even with the opening.

Used to have the same problem. If possible, use tweezers to grab the thinner section of the tape that jets out from the bottom section of the tape. You should be able to pull it out slowly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pry, but Gently
There are a couple of reasons why your tape might get stuck in the car. If you're lucky, it's just because the belts that run the eject mechanism have gotten old and stretched with the passage of time. In that case, your tape will still try to eject, but might need a little bit of help to get itself up and out. You can do that with a long, slender flat-tip screwdriver, or anything of fairly similar shape. Hold down the eject button, and when the tape begins to rise, slide your prying tool underneath it and lift gently. Your tape should pop the rest of the way up so you can remove it.

when I've gotten cassettes stuck in car tape players in the past I was able to get them out by holding down the eject button and using a pair of needle-nose pliers to wiggle the cassette out. The eject button often raises the tape so it is even with the opening.

Used to have the same problem. If possible, use tweezers to grab the thinner section of the tape that jets out from the bottom section of the tape. You should be able to pull it out slowly.

Pry, but Gently

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it won't open up at all. no noise just says tape won't eject. it usually opens the door and ejects it

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
874 Posts
No big deal here. If you don't have removal keys, take the lid off a marg tub and cut two pieces of plastic roughly 5/16" x 3". Cut one end to a bevel.
In the radio there are two slots on either side typically at the bottom corners. Gently push the plastic bits in about 1".
Hook your finger nails behind the face plate and slide the head out. This is easier with the keys as they hook on but when I first did this I didn't know that when I made my own.
Unplug the cables and take the head to the bench.
Undo the screws holding the top cover on and remove it. You will now have full access to the mechanism and you will be able to get the jammed cassette out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts