Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered 1997 SLK 230
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a Carsoft 7.4 Multiplexer for sale on t'internet for just 30 quid - so, not expecting too much info from it, I thought it might be worth a go.

Mine is a 1997 SLK 230 with only the 38 pin OBD connector, and reading elsewhere I think this multiplexer might allow me to see error codes on a laptop, if nothing much else.

However... the multiplexer output is to an RS232 serial cable, and none of my laptops have such a socket.

I was wondering if anyone is successfully using this device with one of the RS232-to-USB converters that are cheaply available on eBay

and also if anyone can advise whether it's worth having this device?

TIA

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I use serial -> USB converters on a variety of different instruments, and have never had a problem connecting anything up yet. Just make sure you configure it to select an unused USB port.

There are quite a few posts on here about people using even cheaper (£10-15 ) OBD scanners that link to a mobile by BT, and they seem to work quite well.

·
Registered 1997 SLK 230
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... I've just had an email back from the multiplexor vendor to say it will NOT work with a RS232-USB connector. As it's losing him a sale I guess I've got to go with his advise really!

so... you mention these other scanners, but I can't find reference to them, could you be more specific about which would work for me, I'd be very grateful.

Paul

I use serial -> USB converters on a variety of different instruments, and have never had a problem connecting anything up yet. Just make sure you configure it to select an unused USB port.

There are quite a few posts on here about people using even cheaper (£10-15 ) OBD scanners that link to a mobile by BT, and they seem to work quite well.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,048 Posts
I bought one of those years ago never had any luck with it but was using it to convert to usb port .

Save your money and get something decent that can actually go in to the older mercs and actually pull codes off .

The cheap code readers are very basic .
It all depends how far you want to go in to the sytem etc . :tu:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.