Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
* Registered
2016 SLC 250d
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the impression that Apple CarPlay was available on all SLCs but it seems I was wrong because mine doesn’t have it! I’ve done searches on this forum and the internet generally trying to find out how to get it but I’m more confused than ever. Some people say Mercedes can do a software update to activate it but most are saying it needs a hardware solution. Hardware gizmos vary from a £500 box from Comand Online Ltd to many OBD devices costing anything from £30 to over a hundred. I would like to try the OBD device first, for obvious reasons, but non of the ones Ive looked at list the SLC, although many of them say they are compatible with Audio 20 NTG5. Can anyone enlighten me. My car has an Audio 20 radio navigation capable NGT5.

·
* Registered
2016 SLC 250d
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if possible via MercedesMe.

@Trev5 @VII7 may know the answer to your question
Thanks Avel Du, the latest Mercedes Me app doesn’t seem to do much of anything unless you buy add ons! I’m sure a lot of the paid for extras, like Vehicle Setup, came with the app last year.

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
56 Posts
You may have it as it's not obvious where to find it - it's under the telephone menu, which doesn't feel intuitive to me. Also, the first SLCs came with only CarPlay, then CarPlay or Android Auto and only later both. That said, mine came with just CarPlay but my dealer updated the car for free to have both (I just have Audio 20)

·
* Registered
2016 SLC 250d
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may have it as it's not obvious where to find it - it's under the telephone menu, which doesn't feel intuitive to me. Also, the first SLCs came with only CarPlay, then CarPlay or Android Auto and only later both. That said, mine came with just CarPlay but my dealer updated the car for free to have both (I just have Audio 20)
Thanks crispy, you didn’t actually solve my problem but, thanks to you, I now know I definitely don’t have CarPlay. After reading your post I went out to my car and looked at the phone menu and realised I hadn’t activated my MercedesMe app! I thought I’d activated it from my phone but of course it‘s necessary to activate it from the car! Anyway, the very helpful guy at MercedesMe was able to tell me that to get CarPlay in my car I need Smart Phone Integration and I haven’t got it. Also it’s not possible to retro fit it. So now I know! Thanks to you and Avel Du for your help.

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
172 Posts
Carplay is only available via the USB socket in the console cubby. Unfortunately it has to be the same one of the two USB ports that you use for a USBmedia stick (Where I have all my car's mp3 files)

It does not work over Bluetooth

I absolutely and definitely deliberately did not specify or pay for the Smartphone Integration Package or carplay that were possible optional extras with my car but Carplay popped up when I charged my phone using this socket(A disclaimer pops up on the Audio 20 when I plugged my phone in).

Android auto sometimes pops up when I plug the USB medial files stick back in.

·
* Registered
2016 SLC 250d
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What can I say, I have plugged my phone into the usb sockets (I tried both) and no CarPlay. Have a look at your data card and look for Smart Phone Integration, I haven’t got it but I suspect you will have. I’m not saying you are wrong, because in just over a year of dealing with Mercedes, I’m astonished at how little some of them know about the cars they are working with. I’d much rather trust information from this site. I’m only questioning what you are saying because I have connected my phone via the lightning cable to those sockets. Thanks for your thoughts anyway.

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
172 Posts
Yes - you are correct.
It is on my datacard, as is Smartphone integration.
Neither of which I paid for and the Smartphone integration was an expensive £215 option so I passed on it.

·
* Registered
2016 SLC 250d
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes - you are correct.
It is on my datacard, as is Smartphone integration.
Neither of which I paid for and the Smartphone integration was an expensive £215 option so I passed on it.

I guess you got lucky!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts