Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I want to install CarPlay for my SLK. I know there's a UniChip from China that some person on youtube posted he was able to have CarPlay and COMAND and switch between the two using the CLR button. It's 400 bucks and change and I'm not sure based on one youtube video I would be willing to do that....

I called the local audio shop here and they are telling me they would have to create a custom chassis because there are no harnesses for any SLK after 2012. I'm trying to determine if this is bunk or not.....anyone have any experience with install CarPlay in a r172 model?

Cheers,
Bobbie

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,112 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I read his thread....I'm looking for something a little more turnkey :).

Definitely impressive work

·
94,112 Posts
:D

That was my intent in posting the link..Thanks Myk (for taking the credit) :D

·
94,112 Posts
No...just how to kill :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So UniChip wins....I called a couple of places in Richmond, VA and one of them directed me to a place in Philly that specialized in MB mods for audio. The owner there told me he has had good luck with UniChip although it's not certified for Apple. He said he's installed quite a few and they work like a champ. My local audio place is going to call them and get the low down to see if they will install one for me. That way I can keep my COMAND features and add CarPlay to it :).

Cheers,
B

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unichip

So UniChip wins....I called a couple of places in Richmond, VA and one of them directed me to a place in Philly that specialized in MB mods for audio. The owner there told me he has had good luck with UniChip although it's not certified for Apple. He said he's installed quite a few and they work like a champ. My local audio place is going to call them and get the low down to see if they will install one for me. That way I can keep my COMAND features and add CarPlay to it :).

Cheers,
B
Can you name the place in Philly?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey... curious to see how the air play is working. I have 2013 slk 350 and would love to get android auto in my car. How much did u end up paying inclusive of labor and parts. I am in NC. So can drive upto VA to get it installed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I installed the unichip and got a deal for 386 USD with shipping. I had my brother in law help me install it. We found a Youtube video that showed how to get to the COMAND system in the SLK. It wasn't that hard and took a couple of hours. The place in Richmond wanted to charge me 500 bucks but once I saw how easy it was to install I decided to do it myself and it only cost me a 6 pack of beer :). SO far so good....there are some issues - it will freeze up if I'm streaming iTunes Radio but that seems to be related to CarPlay itself. It's random and if I do a hard reboot of the phone it fixes it. It's pretty freaking sweet and so nice. The Siri integration for messages are awesome. Also the ability to have Apple of Google Maps is definitely a bonus. I would recommend anyone to go for it.

Cheers,
Bobbie

·
94,112 Posts
Hey sbcgal --- You forgot to put in the link for video. It would be even better if you can put up a video on how u did it.
post 2 has the video....is that not it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey I'm sorry I just saw this....the place in Richmond was going to charge 500.00 and they had to keep the car overnight to link with support overseas to get the firmware updates.

Cheers,
Bobbie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes post 2 called how to install uinchip in 2015 MB is the one we used....

Cheers,
B

1 - 20 of 23 Posts