Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to use a lot of commercial foam products to saturate the carpet, but during the repair this afternoon I realized the old girl smells.. It’s an old smell.. And not a good one.

Suggestions please? I don't want to mask it with something like fabreze either. I'd like to properly clean the carpet in the cab. It's in great shape.
Thanks

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,737 Posts
Here ya go

Attachments

·
92,737 Posts
You finally woke up and smelled the 'coffee'!!!!

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts

·
92,737 Posts
bad link?....

The link is not currently active.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Use this!!!

http://www.oreck.com/Oreck-Dry-Carpet-Cleaning-Powder/176,default,pd.html?keycode=

This stuff is awesome...I use to use the other foam type cleaners and even used commerical cleaning machines on cars....they all eventually end up smelling like a RENT-A-CAR!!!

This Oreck stuff is amazing!!!
I can second that suggestion! This product is used in hotels world wide. We bought a carpet cleaning system at an Oreck retail location here in Palo Alto. It came with the Pre-Treat Spray, a 5 gallon bucket of this powdery stuff that XOFMOT is suggesting, and a machine similar to a floor buffer that was used to buff and polish hardwood floors. You would put wool mats on the buffer part, sprinkle the powder, and go over the carpets with the buffing machine working it into the fibers really well. Wait about 30 minutes and vacuum up. Perfect.

So, if using it in a car, I would duplicate this process only use an Orbital Car Polisher to work the powder into the carpet fibers. The results should be just as good.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts

·
fastdawg
4,380 Posts
I don't want to use a lot of commercial foam products to saturate the carpet, but during the repair this afternoon I realized the old girl smells.. It’s an old smell.. And not a good one.

Suggestions please? I don't want to mask it with something like fabreze either. I'd like to properly clean the carpet in the cab. It's in great shape.
Thanks
I bet you blamed this on the Dawg too! I wasn't even here then! :soap:

·
Banned
992 Posts

Thanks
I unbolted the seat and then removed the carpet from my Chevy S10. Laid it out on the sloping driveway and scrubbed it with a broom and Dawn and hot water. 30 mins of rinsing with a hose and then hung over a line to dry in the sun. All stains and grease gone and fresh as a meadow!

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I unbolted the seat and then removed the carpet from my Chevy S10. Laid it out on the sloping driveway and scrubbed it with a broom and Dawn and hot water. 30 mins of rinsing with a hose and then hung over a line to dry in the sun. All stains and grease gone and fresh as a meadow!
Unfortunately, when SLKs are made, they start with a molded carpet and build the rest of the car around it. Not an easy job to remove it.

·
Banned
992 Posts
Unfortunately, when SLKs are made, they start with a molded carpet and build the rest of the car around it. Not an easy job to remove it.
Oh, when slk320chick mentioned 'cab', I figured she was talking about a truck. I haven't been paying attention - I'll get me coat...

·
Registered
390 Posts

Thanks
And now for something completely different.........
http://www.petco.com/product/109771/Natures-Miracle-Advanced-Stain-And-Odor-Remover.aspx

Get thee to thy local pet supply store and purchaseth a gallon of yon stuff. I know, I know, you swear you didn't pee in the car. Whatever. This enzyme based solution will attack and decompose any organic based crud embedded in your carpet, headliner, or upholstery. And when you think about it, the only thing that is gonna smell is some sort of organic molecule. They mention pet urine because that's a common intended use for the product but the enzymes don't know cat urine from crackers. It's safe (non-toxic), doesn't stain, has no odor, and doesn't require any special action on your part. Just saturate whatever it is you're trying to get the odor out of and leave it to dry.

I have used it on car interiors for general dirt and food particles embedded in carpet, cigarette smoke embedded in upholstery and headliners, and musty moldy smells from being stored for long periods. It may take a 3-4 treatments to get the car smelling like new but it's really easy to do. Spray bottle and sponge + drying time. Don't be afraid to soak it. Soak everything that could possibly hold organic molecules. One of the things I love about this stuff is that it has no odor of its own. It leaves no perfumey odor like retail foam cleaners or (puke) Febreeze.

I'll also take a gallon of this stuff about every 6 months and dump it in a plastic tub then toss in all my workout gear, shirts, shorts, socks. I sweat like a Clydesdale and my wife won't allow my gym stuff in with our general laundry. Eventually, it gets to the point where I notice it even though I always wash my gym clothes as soon as I get home from work each day. Anyway, I let my stuff sit for about 6 hours in the enzyme solution then dump the whole tub full, enzymes and all into the washer. It gets rid of the odor better than anything else I've ever tried with the possible exception of chlorine bleach. But that's got a bunch of problems that pretty much excludes it as a solution.

·
Banned
992 Posts
And now for something completely different.........
http://www.petco.com/product/109771/Natures-Miracle-Advanced-Stain-And-Odor-Remover.aspx

Get thee to thy local pet supply store and purchaseth a gallon of yon stuff. I know, I know, you swear you didn't pee in the car. Whatever. This enzyme based solution will attack and decompose any organic based crud embedded in your carpet, headliner, or upholstery. And when you think about it, the only thing that is gonna smell is some sort of organic molecule. They mention pet urine because that's a common intended use for the product but the enzymes don't know cat urine from crackers. It's safe (non-toxic), doesn't stain, has no odor, and doesn't require any special action on your part. Just saturate whatever it is you're trying to get the odor out of and leave it to dry.

I have used it on car interiors for general dirt and food particles embedded in carpet, cigarette smoke embedded in upholstery and headliners, and musty moldy smells from being stored for long periods. It may take a 3-4 treatments to get the car smelling like new but it's really easy to do. Spray bottle and sponge + drying time. Don't be afraid to soak it. Soak everything that could possibly hold organic molecules. One of the things I love about this stuff is that it has no odor of its own. It leaves no perfumey odor like retail foam cleaners or (puke) Febreeze.

I'll also take a gallon of this stuff about every 6 months and dump it in a plastic tub then toss in all my workout gear, shirts, shorts, socks. I sweat like a Clydesdale and my wife won't allow my gym stuff in with our general laundry. Eventually, it gets to the point where I notice it even though I always wash my gym clothes as soon as I get home from work each day. Anyway, I let my stuff sit for about 6 hours in the enzyme solution then dump the whole tub full, enzymes and all into the washer. It gets rid of the odor better than anything else I've ever tried with the possible exception of chlorine bleach. But that's got a bunch of problems that pretty much excludes it as a solution.

TMI !!!!:eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts