Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what you guys are gonna say. "Why are you snooping around at Carmax"? Well, every so often I check out what the market is bringing for ours cars! I was shocked to see four SLK 55's! One is a Red '07 right here in Norcross, Ga. glad to know its not Dave!!!!:burnout:

Joe

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Nope not mine. Haven't seen it around and I'm close to Norcross.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
I know what you guys are gonna say. "Why are you snooping around at Carmax"? Well, every so often I check out what the market is bringing for ours cars! I was shocked to see four SLK 55's! One is a Red '07 right here in Norcross, Ga. glad to know its not Dave!!!!:burnout:

Joe
What were they going for?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey, I don't knock you for lookin' around CarMax...in fact, that's where I got my SLK. I was slightly reluctant at first [even though my cousin is the manager], but after my experience with CarMax I've got to say that I absolutely love their business model. If I ever buy used cars in the future, I'll go there first.

...and no, I don't work for them. :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, I don't knock you for lookin' around CarMax...in fact, that's where I got my SLK. I was slightly reluctant at first [even though my cousin is the manager], but after my experience with CarMax I've got to say that I absolutely love their business model. If I ever buy used cars in the future, I'll go there first.

...and no, I don't work for them. :)

Mike, I agree with you. That business plan is going to flourish in this economy. I have purchased a couple cars there for my oldest son and my daughter and I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

As for the pricing its clearly less than what a MB dealer would ask.

Joe

·
Registered
940 Posts
Hm ill definitely look online for the next car I buy - I tend to buy used anyways to not take the huge depreciation hit. However, glancing at carmax.com the 2005 slk 350s are similar price to the one I bought from my dealer (for similar miles). My car certainly didn't have every option possible but it has the majority of options and I definitely feel safer buying the car from a trusted dealer, with a test drive and so on as compared to online.

The closest comparable car to mine: year/model/miles/options is 2000 cheaper then what I paid from the dealer (and I enjoy the bantering and negotiating of price, something you can’t do through this system). Are these including tax in the listing prices? If there’s no additional costs to buying these vehicles it might workout to 5000ish cheaper in the end I guess which is fairly significant on a mid 30k purchase. But I really feel safer buying from a local dealer that isn't as likely to screw me over (Fletcher Jones is huge!)

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
Carmax is really good for the novice used car buyer, but their trade in rates and prices are consistently worse than at other dealers after haggling.

(have friends in the used car industry who REFUSE to go near Carmax, and have personally compared when doing my own car shopping).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.