Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my 2015 SLK 350 after taking European delivery and it already needs to be cleaned (thank you mid Atlantic pollen). This car is my baby and I want to make sure I clean it and treat it properly for long lasting beauty. There are not a lot of red SLK 350s floating around out there and I did not see a specific post on cleaning/car for them. Plus, I have never had such a nice car, so my knowledge on car care is limited. So, here is what I need:

- Product recommendations to keep leather in good shape (and not shiny)
- Product recommendations to keep exterior in great shape
- Specialized treatment for the exterior that I may need (wax? clay?) and the schedule for the same
- Any help on cleaning and maintaining the Magic Sky panoramic roof.

I appreciate any/all advice.

Attachments

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,738 Posts
Our new friend. Do a search in this section as all have been answered/asked/covered before as you can imagine. :D

Enter our May Ride of the Month contest to win a Windrestrictor prize!

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Congratulation on the new car.

There are a lot of products out there for your car, so take your time and look around. You don't need to buy the most expensive stuff, what you do need to do, is get some good quality products and use them. Set up a schedule, maybe good wax before winter and then a clean, clay bar and wax in the spring.

We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store has a lot of good products and a lot of information. Do some reading and I am sure others will tell you what they like. Like Jeff said, do a search here and you will learn. Today from reading one of Jeff's post, I see a product that I will try on my black SLK http://www.slkworld.com/caring-your-slk/239073-car-care-question.html

I use Meguiar's cleaners and wax, but also use Poorboys black wax. interior I use Meguiars and Lexol leather care.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I just received my 2015 SLK 350 after taking European delivery and it already needs to be cleaned (thank you mid Atlantic pollen). This car is my baby and I want to make sure I clean it and treat it properly for long lasting beauty. There are not a lot of red SLK 350s floating around out there and I did not see a specific post on cleaning/car for them. Plus, I have never had such a nice car, so my knowledge on car care is limited. So, here is what I need:

- Product recommendations to keep leather in good shape (and not shiny)
- Product recommendations to keep exterior in great shape
- Specialized treatment for the exterior that I may need (wax? clay?) and the schedule for the same
- Any help on cleaning and maintaining the Magic Sky panoramic roof.

I appreciate any/all advice.

Very nice ride!!!
What color is the exterior, it looks darker than my Mars red car does.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Congrats on your new baby. If you like to read, AutoGeeks.net is a great site for all types of waxes, cleaners etc. they discuss all manufactors products, sell at discount, and have how to videos for all car care jobs. I visit sit frequently, and have ordered products from them.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Well, opinions are like . . .

Congrats on the beautiful new car. You will find no shortage of information and opinions on the care. A lot of it good, much of it contradictory. As the owner of a black car, which shows every little speck of dirt (and yellow pollen), I've found a few basics that help keep the car looking good. I won't recommend products, because lots of people have personal favorites. Try Meguairs, Autoglym, Griots, Mothers, Chemical Guys, etc. and see what you like best.

Here are my basics to keep the paint looking good:

- Wrap it (okay, not really a step for everyone, but keeps the chips out)
- Wash it when dirty (for me, once or twice a week)
- Never wash in sun or when car is hot
- Always rinse well before washing (to remove debris that can scratch)
- Use a two bucket system to wash (one with mild cleaner, the other just water to rinse your mitt / sponge.
- Wash the undercarriage / really dirty areas last
- Blow dry (I use a leaf blower to remove majority of water)
- Buy good (soft / long weave) micro fiber towels and don't apply too much pressure when drying. (After blow drying, I spray a bit of sealant on to remove any remaining water spots and buff lightly to a high gloss.)
- Don't forget to open the doors, hood and trunk to dry the crevices.
- If your towels fall on the ground, DON'T pick up and use - get a fresh towel. Any particle you pick up in the towel can scratch your paint.
- In between washes (every day) use a good micro fiber towel and Speed Shine product to remove any bird poop, sap, etc that may get on it. (I'm a bit OCD and carry it in my car so I can remove it as soon as I see it.)
- I clay / polish / seal / wax twice a year.
- I wax every two to three months.

I rarely park the car outside for any period of time, and even when in the garage for several days, I keep it covered. This seems complicated, but for a car the size of the SLK, it doesn't take long.

Oh, and after you've spent all that time taking care of it, try to avoid oncoming cars. That last bit of advice was a tough one to learn.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I had the same inquiry as you over the weekend. Took a stroll down to the custom shop down the road which also does car cleaning to ask for tips and get some products.
Here are some things I picked up:

Interior Cleaning:
- Try using microfiber towel and do not use any chemicals. This will pick up the dust and get rid of dirt.
- Always have a separate towel for interior

Leather Seats:
- Always try to condition your seats in the shade, never in the sun
- Use microfiber cloth
- You may use leather cleaner: basically its like a foam which lifts up dirt to be wiped off
- Leather Conditioner may also be used this can either be a spray or cream type

Exterior:
- @ApexAMG pretty much covered it.. I did clean the car on the weekend.. had to clean it twice actually. First time I was stupid enough to rinse the car without wiping it down. This left white spot marks on the car (assuming its the soap residue)
- So always always try to rinse.. and wipe down with a clean micro fiber towel.
- Make sure your car is spotless and dry before you apply the shine or polish. Tip is to apply with one side of the towel, then buff it with the dry side

Wheels:
- You can use the same wash water you used for the exterior to wash the wheels.
- You can also use wheel cleaning product (foam like) to wash the car

Some of the brands which I found popular are:
- Mothers
- Meguiars

Cheers

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
My regimen is much the same as ApexAMG's. I have been satisfied with using the Griot's Garage product line for many years. I usually clay and wax annually, but my car is always garaged and is only exposed to the elements when I am actually driving it. If you park outside much of the time, you need to clay and wax more often. I use Griot's 6" random orbital buffer when applying and removing wax, and that makes the process much faster.

I also do this for the wheels during my annual winter detail (the car isn't going anywhere anyway, since it's cold and rainy that time of year). The wheels all come off, and get cleaned, clayed (Griot's has a specific wheel clay), and waxed to help prevent brake dust from sticking.

The threads here on using Gummi Pflege for the roof and door seals and lithium grease for the working mechanisms of the top are also worth noting. Since your car is brand new (and gorgeous, too!), the dealer will regularly lubricate everything as part of the regular servicing while you are under warranty. After that, you can have them do it or do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I started using Leatherique Rejuvenator and Cleaner for my SLK350. See the vendor's site for application instructions but basically it is opposite to what you would think. Apply the rejuvenator liberally to moisturize the seats etc. Close the car up, including windows and let it "bake" in the sun for a few hours. When the rejuvenator is absorbed, use the cleaner to clean up the soil freed by the rejuvenator. My car seats went from dark gray to black again and no slippery, shiny seats either. As I drive top down a lot, I expect to inspect/treat interior more often than normal.

If you are looking for a good indy shop for non-warranty repairs, I highly recommend Benz Elite Automotive, just off Eisenhower near Van Dorn. Ive been taking my cars there for a few years. The prices are below dealer, service is excellent and the staff knows their product. *****

1 - 10 of 10 Posts