Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
* Registered
2018 SLC 300
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across a MB certified pre-owned 2018 SLC300, 33K miles, single owner, one minor damage reported by Carfax. I guess there is no way of telling how serious the damage is, but if you were to test drive the car, what would you look for? Any tips? Thank you.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
106,173 Posts

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
106,173 Posts
it says
Minor damage is usually cosmetic

·
* Premium Member
2019 SLC300
2,706 Posts
So the right front had some damage, minor damage reported. Could be the owner hit something like a parked car or we hit by another car someway. Most likely a dent and scratched paint. Most likely was repaired by a body shop and you will be able to tell it was damaged. It does hurt the resale value if a person pulls up Carfax.

·
* Registered
2013 SLK55 AMG - P30
77 Posts
I don't trust carfax very much these days their damage scale is so broad, that I say, use it to acknowledge the fact there is a red flag.
however, I do trust my own eyes and a very close look under the hood and front suspension are highly recommended here. if everything checks out ok and if you still have a bit of warranty left, you can use the fact to negotiate a better price. Check everything twice, all the electronics, lights and any sensors, etc.

·
* Premium Member
2019 SLC300
2,706 Posts
Front corner is probably a curb hit. These cars are so low it's a daily thing. My lower bumper has been repaired several times
I have 2019 with the AMG air dam on the front is about 4 inches from the ground. I have installed Curb Alert that lets me know if something is more than 3 inches high, get a beep when I am 18 inches from it. Works great and no bumper damage.

·
* Registered
2013 SLK350
2,196 Posts
IF certified, and being sold by an MB dealership, then it is good to go... means the damage was mostly cosmetic and the dealership has determined it can be re-sold with minimal issues.... but do your own DD... have another auto shop take another look and confirm it is mostly cosmetic.

Reactions: fermion

·
* Registered
2014 SLK350
589 Posts
I always check four things (other than the visuals and fluids) when I buy a used car. 1) Does it track straight ahead at speed with no hands on the steering wheel. 2) When hitting the brakes hard also at speed does it stop straight. 3) Carefully listen for any abnormal or strange sounds coming from the car during the test drive. 4) Does everything work...every knob, switch and function. Good Luck! :)

Reactions: fermion

·
* Registered
2015 SLK250d
165 Posts
I would ask for proof where the damage was repaired, and by whom. Is it a genuine MB repair and on their system? If not and it was repaired elsewhere MB may not honour the anti corrosion warranty in later years, I would almost guarantee they will not honour it. Of course the front and wing (fender?) are plastic so no problem but if the paintwork extended to the bonnet (hood) or door, as it often does to blend in, it may be a problem if you needed to claim.
Questions to ask and to get answers in writing I think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts