Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at a 2000 SLK230 Kompressor Limited Edition with 12,500 miles for our daughter. The dealership states that although the CarFax shows 4 previous owners there actually was only 1. Also, the CarFax reads 'Exceeded Mechanical Limits in error'.

Something about this CarFax seems suspicious to us or are we being overly cautious?

Any input would really be helpful. Thanks!

Cars for Sale: 2000 Mercedes-Benz SLK230 Kompressor in Lakeland, FL 33801: Convertible Details - 323612816 - AutoTrader.com

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,450 Posts
u texted me 125,000. typo?

·
14,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, but how did you determine that? Then the carfax is incorrect?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Even those the car delivered in 4/2000 but the VIN date showed build in 12/1999. These car does not show any of the comestic like, mirror turn signal, painted side, front lower bumper, rear lower bumper, the MAF location, airbox....etc. upgrade for the post-2000 Slk model.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Even those the car delivered in 4/2000 but the VIN date showed build in 12/1999. These car does not show any of the comestic like, mirror turn signal, painted side, front lower bumper, rear lower bumper, the MAF location, airbox....etc. upgrade for the post-2000 Slk model.

Technically incorrect - the car *is* a Model Year 2000 car, as specified on the data card. The R170 was facelifted in February 2000 - again as part of MY00. Same thing happened in the R171 in MY08.

·
14,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Klinh...the datacard says 2000...it's identical to my son's 2000.

We are confused about the 'exceeded mechanical limits in error' and the 4 previous owners. :confused: We don't think the odometer was tampered with but it raised a red flag.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Hmm, missed that bit - if you look at what CarFax says, it's a car with a 5 digit odometer with > 99,999 miles. I'm pretty sure that's not the case on the R170?

"
Exceeds Mechanical Limits — A vehicle with a 5-digit odometer cannot accurately track mileage after 99,999 miles because the odometer rolls over. This title is the result of a seller certifying under the Federal Odometer Act, that the odometer reading EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS of the odometer.

·
97,450 Posts
so the real mileage could be 112,500?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hmm, missed that bit - if you look at what CarFax says, it's a car with a 5 digit odometer with > 99,999 miles. I'm pretty sure that's not the case on the R170?

"
Exceeds Mechanical Limits — A vehicle with a 5-digit odometer cannot accurately track mileage after 99,999 miles because the odometer rolls over. This title is the result of a seller certifying under the Federal Odometer Act, that the odometer reading EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS of the odometer.

DMV should have the true mileages for each time smog is due or each time the car is in the dealership for warranty repair. You can go to the Mercedes dealership give them the VIN# and they can show you the whole history of the repairs/services work but they won't print it out for you.

·
97,450 Posts
car is in florida now and we do not have to test emissions in this state.

·
97,450 Posts
it went 5 years and only racked up 2000 miles? maybe woolly was the owner

·
14,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks John, we read that also and the carfax did say 'in error' but we've never heard of that before.

Now how about deciphering the 4 previous owners! Why would that be on the carfax if there was 1 owner? We don't get it....

·
14,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DMV should have the true mileages for each time smog is due or each time the car is in the dealership for warranty repair. You can go to the Mercedes dealership give them the VIN# and they can show you the whole history of the repairs/services work but they won't print it out for you.
We saw the entire history but it really only showed work done about a year ago, and it was extensive...engine seals, engine major, brake flush etc....They must have spent a small fortune on it.

Very few repairs prior. I also questioned that it had to be jump started 4 times.

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
Major extensive work with only 12,500 miles seems odd to me. It is very strange. In one case the car was driven less than a couple hundred miles in one year. Plus, some of the interior shows signs of more wear than what the car has in miles although it was in heavy snow country, Wisconsin and did it say Illinois?

Whats the old saying......if it looks like a dog and barks like a dog? But to me it definitely does not look like a dog. :confused:

·
14,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seemed strange to us also. We were told that the owner moved from Wisconsin to Minnesota to Florida and then decided to sell the car...there was no trade involved which again brought up questions.

We figured the car sat without any maintenance to it...not even an oil change. My dad's car sat for a year and the head gasket had to be replaced.

Everytime it went to a different state it was registered as a new owner...we were wondering why??

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.