Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbon Fiber Brake Rotors

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  jet_fl 
#1 ·
Anyone used them, feedback? I'm getting a big brake kit from Ceika and CF rotors are one of the options. At present I'm asking Ceika about brake pads to suit, as far as I know they need carbon ceramic pads.

#5 ·
Nope, it's the opposite. They last much longer than steel rotors and pads. The thing is, unless you're going to be setting fire to your braking system on wild hairy-arsed tours of the highlands in a 55, you're unlikely to get the benefit from them.
Steel brakes will stop as effectively as a carbon ceramic system, but not under repeated high temperature braking - i.e. racing, the problems of high heat and fade for which carbon ceramic systems were developed.
Also, unless you're very lucky as to the roads locally, they take quite a bit of effort to get heated up enough to start working, so they feel squishy. Just to add insult to the mega bucks-cost, they squeak/squeal when you're braking at low speeds.

There are plenty of alternative brake upgrades possible or, as Myk suggested, You could just replace the fluid :whistle:

#6 ·
They aren't carbon fiber brake disks, they would be carbon ceramic as squishband says. I also would not bother. One of the downsides is that they need to be warmed up some to get full braking force. It isn't ideal for a street car. I definitely wouldn't trust Taiwan carbon ceramics at this point. If you want an upgrade get a 2 piece disk like the early 55's have.

#7 ·
The car will be mainly used "off road" so I'm thinking that with CF rotors brake cooling will be less of a problem, except for the brake fluid of course. Titanium shims between the pads and cups used to be a thing for insulating heat from the cups and fluid, not sure if they are available. One important thing is less (rotating) weight though.

Might just try a set on the front, can always change back to iron.

#10 ·
Yeah, the price on their site doesn't change until you put most of the options in. I talked to them when I was looking for suspension. They are one of the Taiwan companies that piece things together, but one of the better ones. I ended up going with KW though. Nothing wrong with the 2 piece rotors, they will be plenty for a 350. They found them too big for the 55 and downsized them in 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.