Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having the common problem of the paint peeling from the vinyl on the central consul of my 2001 SLK320. I have a quote to repaint for $185 from a local repair shop but I also see video's where 3M car wrap is applied with a heat gun. I worry that the paint will peel again in time unless the existing area is completely cleaned of all existing paint. The car wrap look likes it might be a more permanent solution. I'm not worried about the colour and may go with a somewhat darker grey. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks, Geoff:frown:

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,665 Posts
Possible, yes.

Difficult too. The area around the handbrake will be hard to get the vinyl in to. You may end up with joins. To do the job right you'd want to strip out the parts and wrap vinyl around the back of the edges to prevent edges lifting. If you are going to strip then you have two other alternatives. 1 is to repaint properly, results can be spectacular. The other option is water dip transfer but you will need a lot of prep to get a really good finish.

It's take 17 years to get to it's current state. If the $185 paint job lasts another 5 years or so ................ I'd get the whole lot painted.

Reactions: Avel Du

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,176 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'll go with the paint as I see the difficulty with the car wrap. Will wait until the weather improves so as not to venture out on snow and salt covered roads! Thanks to everyone for the advice.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'll go with the paint for $185. I can see how securing the edges of the car wrap around the hand brake can be a problem and removing the console is difficult given the wiring. Thanks for your help, Geoff

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,176 Posts
I think I'll go with the paint for $185. I can see how securing the edges of the car wrap around the hand brake can be a problem and removing the console is difficult given the wiring. Thanks for your help, Geoff
Take some pics and make a description of what you do.

It all helps the next member doing this work.

+1 for not working out in the ice and snow :tu:
No good for painting anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.