Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Car would not lock then all electrics dead. PSE pump to check out this week.

Evening all,

Had a drive to Tesco's tonight for a bottle of wine, took both key fobs as last week end the fob would not open the lock or disarm the alarm, eventually did after 6/7 tries. Been OK since.

Parked up in the car park turned of the lights turned of the ignition got it of the car turned to lock the door pressed the button, nothing, took out the reserve fob pressed the lock button, nothing.
Opened the door put the main key in the ignition nothing, totally dead, tried reserve key , nothing.
Locked the drivers door and went for my wine, might have fixed itself by time I got back.

Still the same on my return so tool kit out of the boot, disconnected the negative battery terminal waited a minute reconnected the terminal and tried the key fob unlock button, success interior light on key into ignition all lights came on engine started, jumped in and drove home stopped car and locked car with the fob no problem.
The battery is new and holds a good charge, could this be a K40 module problem, I have had this out, removed the plastic case to inspect the relays and joints but it looks brand new.

Any suggestions or solutions.

Regards Stuart.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts
Well the PSE handles the locking parts but I will let the r170 experts chime in

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the PSE handles the locking parts but I will let the r170 experts chime in
Found a TSB relating to such problems, MB turned the PSE pump 180 degrees and added a short length of wiring to deflect water ingress from the pump in 2002.
And happy birthday Jeff.

Regards Stuart.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts
Thanks Stuart!

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK230
569 Posts
To loose everything it would need to be a major power cable ? Have you checked the connection at the other end of the battery earth cable as disconnecting may have just moved it slightly . Maybe miles off but I would start with the easy. ( nice garage by the way, from a fellow triumph/ Suzuki owner)

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To loose everything it would need to be a major power cable ? Have you checked the connection at the other end of the battery earth cable as disconnecting may have just moved it slightly . Maybe miles off but I would start with the easy. ( nice garage by the way, from a fellow triumph/ Suzuki owner)
Have had a similar problem months ago, total power loss just as I turned the ignition key, had to disconnect the battery to get the car going but the battery was on the way out and I replaced it, not had much trouble since, there is something in the ECU that tells it to shut down if the voltagevdrops below 10v so if the PES pump tells the ECU that supply voltage is less than 10v it shuts down , total power loss.
Will know better when I have had a good look at the pump and connection.

Regards Stuart

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Evening all, got into the boot today and removed back panel and side panel fastenings no sign of any water or dampness anywhere, a little white deposit on the roof pump mounts but they are zinc coated so will fur up over time.
Got the pump out of it's little polistyrene box, all dry, pump looked new, disconnected all plugs all looked OK except the white one which had a lot of green around the pin connections so tomorrow going to clean the connector then try my keyfob with different plugs disconnected to try and find the one causing the problem.
Hopefully it will be the white one and cleaning the connectors will solve my intermittent electrical problem.

Regards Stuart

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,835 Posts
Had very similar experience to this today.
Came out of a shop and fob wouldn't work.
Started the drive home and the interior lights came on (set for when door is open, no doors open).
Wouldn't go out so turned permanently off.
Then the right hand indicator came permanently on the dash.
Nearly home and right hand indicator lit up as well.

Got out and locked the car to find all external indicators permanently lit up.

Disconnected the battery and took a look in the boot (pse being the first thought).
Lo and behold, the inside of the boot lid is covered in condensation, as if it's been sweating.

Then the heavens opened.

Safe bet the sponge around the pse is going to be soaking wet.

Obviously going to dry and remove all that I can but I need to find the source of water ingress.
Starting with another R170 favourite, the drain holes.

Have you managed to resolve your issues, Stuart?

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had very similar experience to this today.
Came out of a shop and fob wouldn't work.
Started the drive home and the interior lights came on (set for when door is open, no doors open).
Wouldn't go out so turned permanently off.
Then the right hand indicator came permanently on the dash.
Nearly home and right hand indicator lit up as well.

Got out and locked the car to find all external indicators permanently lit up.

Disconnected the battery and took a look in the boot (pse being the first thought).
Lo and behold, the inside of the boot lid is covered in condensation, as if it's been sweating.

Then the heavens opened.

Safe bet the sponge around the pse is going to be soaking wet.

Obviously going to dry and remove all that I can but I need to find the source of water ingress.
Starting with another R170 favourite, the drain holes.

Have you managed to resolve your issues, Stuart?
Yes I think so will start a new thread with a photo Avel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.