Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My g/f owns an SLK 320 that wouldn't start yesterday. She called roadside assistance who came and said the problem appeared not to be the battery but instead was related to the computer.

There is a very good independent mechanic nearby whom I've used for various isses related to a BMW 328ci and an M3. He works on all kinds of cars, mainly imports and including Mercedes. She is concerned that, b/c the problem is related to the computer and may require a new chip or reprogramming (I don't purport to know these cars), it may be necessary to take it to the dealer, which would be less convenient and, of course, more expensive.

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be and whether a dealer visit (vs. a very competent independent mechanic) might be necessary?

Thanks for any insights/advice.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Gabus and some of the other R170 experts will be around shortly - first, welcome to the forum.

When you try and start the car, what exactly is it doing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gabus and some of the other R170 experts will be around shortly - first, welcome to the forum.

When you try and start the car, what exactly is it doing?
Thanks for the welcome and assistance. I'll try to get some more detail, since I haven't observed the problem myself. In the meantime, I thought maybe someone could address, more generally, what sorts of issues only dealers are equipped to handle, to the extent that's possible. Hope to be able to post more specifics soon.

D

·
0 Posts
With a 170 dealers are best used for work that involves the DAS (drive authorization system) and any electrical work where the indy does not have and/or does not know how to use a DAS/HHT (diagnosis assistance system/hand held tester).

If your indy has all the right kit then they can find out what is wrong with the car and if it is a sensor for example then the indy can take care of that for you but if its a fault internal to the ECU then the dealer is best to replace it because its expensive and if they break it you will be in a good position to claim a new one from them FOC since they can't argue incorrect install by an unqualified tech.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,463 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

If you have not, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you have not, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for security updates and repairs to the site. Any amount is welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With a 170 dealers are best used for work that involves the DAS (drive authorization system) and any electrical work where the indy does not have and/or does not know how to use a DAS/HHT (diagnosis assistance system/hand held tester).

If your indy has all the right kit then they can find out what is wrong with the car and if it is a sensor for example then the indy can take care of that for you but if its a fault internal to the ECU then the dealer is best to replace it because its expensive and if they break it you will be in a good position to claim a new one from them FOC since they can't argue incorrect install by an unqualified tech.
Good info. and sounds like very sound advice. Thanks. :tu:

Hi, and welcome :hutab:

The most common reason for a sudden failure to start/crank is the key.
Display in the combi instrument will print "start error"
Thanks. Insteresting; hope it's that simple!

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!
Thanks a lot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.