Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
7,862 Posts
Yes, certainly on any V6 R170, pull f11 and there is no feed to Ignition Coils therefore no Spark.

The OP post #1 says car was running, then after Battery disconnect it wouldn't start .......................

Therefore someone must have physically taken that Fuse out ;)

• Wow
Reactions: zoro1998 and M4rCu5

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
40,845 Posts
Actually, I've just re read post #1 ....................

So what I don't understand is how f11 went missing, someone must have pulled it and misplaced it !!

IDK :rolleyes:
Happens often near our research labs.

·
*Registered
2003 SLK320
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Funny thing happened. when I went to start the car the radiator fan was going in warp speed. I yelled "GDI". Code reader came back with some MAF faults. I went to check on it, and I didn't plug back in the sensor connector. Well, until next time.

·
7,862 Posts
I'm no expert on these, but read up on K40.
Fan is characteristic.
Absolutely Myk,

And FWIW MAF has no effect upon the Fan running flat out ;)

Gets weirder and weirder this particular thread :ROFLMAO:

·
7,862 Posts
Lets just assume "The reader" is correct, yes you may have a MAF Fault, but that will not cause FAN to run flat out !!

Because you aren't using SDS you can only see a tiny perecentage of what is going on, personally my experiences with guys on this forum using OBD readers suggests they tell lies, (lol the OBD Reader lies not the forum member) 🤣 They definitely don't see even a tiny proportion of what is going on, and therefore if you own an R170 members would get a better result by asking this guy for a Diagnosis ....

Hairstyle Eyebrow Smile Gesture Font

Now, truthful humour aside, if you do, as we suspect, have a K40 Fault SDS won't give you a fault code for that, but a few stored faults in the modules that the OBD junk can't even see would list "No Comms with ME", and ME would have stored codes for "Low Voltage" ......................

My first port of call on any car would then be "Motor Relay", but R170 does not have separate Relays, in fact it's Motor Relay is just 1 of 5 Relays in the K40 Module, so therefore SDS Codes dependent you could have other faults if other circuits / relays within a K40 are duff. This is because the whole things are problematic now they are all at least 18 years old ;)

Moral of the K40 story is don't faff about with it, even if you do fix it, something else will go wrong soon, so it will potentially leave you or a loved one stranded in the middle of no-where one dark and rainy night ................

Just bin it and fit a new genuine MB K40, which will then work fine for at very least the next 18 years ;)

Reactions: Avel Du and M4rCu5

·
*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
840 Posts
That's an interesting one! Not sure why anyone with a perfectly operating system would try to introduce a fault? However just as a matter of interest, are you saying that if you unplug your MAF the fan comes on and when you plug it back in it goes off and that is repeatable time be after time?

·
*Registered
2003 SLK320
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I am saying that after I cleaned the MAF, I forgot to plug in the sensor. The CEL came on and gave me P0112 and P0102 code in addition to the radiator fan going full speed. I turned off the car, plugged in the sensor. Then I turned the car back on and the CEL was not illuminated and the fan ran normally.

·
7,862 Posts
are you saying that if you unplug your MAF the fan comes on and when you plug it back in it goes off and that is repeatable time be after time?
Exactly, go unplug your own MAF and see if it is repeatable :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: M4rCu5
21 - 33 of 33 Posts