Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we have another minor problem.

I was driving the car yesterday, stopped for a coffee and when I got back, I started it up but couldn't get it out of park. Messed around for a bit and it finally went. I didn't have any trouble the rest of the day.

Today it was my wife's turn to drive it (yeah, we kinda swap days lol) and she had the same problem all day. The google fu was strong with her and she was able to find the trick with a ball point pen to get it out of park, but she said she had to do that three of the four times she started the car.

I did a little google work of my own and I *think* this is simply a bad brake light switch? Does that sound right? And if so, will that pop up where I expect it to be, just up the brake pedal shaft somewhere under the dash? If it's reasonably straightforward I can probably tackle it myself.

Thanks,

Ed

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, shoot. I have the car today. The two times I've needed to get out of Park I had to do the trick above both times. I was able to confirm that the brake lights are coming on, though, which makes me think it's not the switch and maybe something in the actual shifter that's broken.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you found the switch...how many contacts/wires? Just because the brakes are working..if the switch performs more than one function it may still be the cause.
I'm hoping that's the case. I haven't taken anything apart or had any kind of root around yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, just googled a picture of the switch. Looks like there are a fair few connections there. So that may still be the problem. Let's hope!

(edit) The switch is cheap, so I ordered one. At least I can confirm or eliminate that variable.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I took mine apart, cleaned it up and reinstalled. It's a very simple device and there's not a lot to break/fail in there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, just to put a period on this, I finally got a chance to go look at the car in daylight and get the switch put in. That seems to have done the trick!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.