Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A What Car? investigation has found significant failings in some manufacturer’s theft-prevention systems

Major security shortcomings in some of Britain's most popular cars have been revealed by Autocar's sibling brand What Car?. Certain models are at risk of being stolen in a matter of seconds.

Three cars scored particularly poorly in What Car?’s keyless technology investigation. The worst performing was the new DS 3 Crossback, in top-spec Ultra Prestige guise, which could be entered and started in as little as 10 seconds using key code grabbing technology.

The Audi TT RS Roadster could be driven away in the same timeframe, but only if its keyless entry system was active and anti-theft motion sensor technology had not disabled the keyfob. With these preventative measures in place, the car could not be entered or driven.

The 2018 Land Rover Discovery Sport test car performed better, although could still be stolen in 30 seconds because it was not equipped with Jaguar Land Rover’s new ultra-wide-band radio technology, which prevents replication of the key’s radar signal by transmitting on a wide range of frequencies. This system is available on current models.

more

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/car-thieves-can-steal-some-popular-cars-10-seconds-finds-probe

·
Registered
154 Posts
A What Car? investigation has found significant failings in some manufacturer’s theft-prevention systems

Major security shortcomings in some of Britain's most popular cars have been revealed by Autocar's sibling brand What Car?. Certain models are at risk of being stolen in a matter of seconds.

Three cars scored particularly poorly in What Car?’s keyless technology investigation. The worst performing was the new DS 3 Crossback, in top-spec Ultra Prestige guise, which could be entered and started in as little as 10 seconds using key code grabbing technology.

The Audi TT RS Roadster could be driven away in the same timeframe, but only if its keyless entry system was active and anti-theft motion sensor technology had not disabled the keyfob. With these preventative measures in place, the car could not be entered or driven.

The 2018 Land Rover Discovery Sport test car performed better, although could still be stolen in 30 seconds because it was not equipped with Jaguar Land Rover’s new ultra-wide-band radio technology, which prevents replication of the key’s radar signal by transmitting on a wide range of frequencies. This system is available on current models.

more

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/car-thieves-can-steal-some-popular-cars-10-seconds-finds-probe

Yes I saw this today

I have Keyless-Go and always double press the lock on the fob which disables it when I am parked up at night in my garage

So I guess that should be safe?

Not that someone would want to steal my AMG SLC43 :wink:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts