Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for fun, I've decided to take Ruby to my hometown for a visit this weekend to introduce her to the family and enter her in our small-town car show. This is rural Midwest where Chevy and NASCAR rule,and women aren't expected to know anything about cars.

I do know cars, but I'm new to the Mercedes world so I could use some help. Fill my head with factoids I can share!

I figure I can point out the supercharger, but I'm not sure I can really explain how it differs from turbo, etc. Anything else I should be prepared to answer?

I'm a car show virgin, by the way. Attended many as a spectator. First time entering. Even if it's just small-town stuff, I don't want to look ridiculous!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,560 Posts
going to move this thread to general discussion

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,387 Posts
If you post the vin number I will get you the Data Card for you SLK. This will show what was on the car when it was built.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Just for fun, I've decided to take Ruby to my hometown for a visit this weekend to introduce her to the family and enter her in our small-town car show. This is rural Midwest where Chevy and NASCAR rule,and women aren't expected to know anything about cars.

I do know cars, but I'm new to the Mercedes world so I could use some help. Fill my head with factoids I can share!

I figure I can point out the supercharger, but I'm not sure I can really explain how it differs from turbo, etc. Anything else I should be prepared to answer?

I'm a car show virgin, by the way. Attended many as a spectator. First time entering. Even if it's just small-town stuff, I don't want to look ridiculous!
I suppose the easiest way to tell the difference between a supercharger and a turbo, is that a supercharger is mechanically driven and runs all the time the engine is running, whereas a turbo is driven by exhaust gasses and only cuts in at certain engine revs.

No doubt someone will explain it better :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Superchargers blow air into the engine. Turbo's suck air through the engine.
SLK was the first of the modern day "hard top" Verts

Personally I was just sit back and look pretty. It's also okay to say "I don't know." But try to remember what they asked so you can look it up later.

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Went to a show a few yealrs ago and saw a SLK with the hood up and roof open to midpoint. Very neat way to show off the car. Now I own one! The SLK pretty much speaks for itself.

Can't remember if they used a "John's Broomstick" device to keep the roof open to midpoint. If you search "John's Broomstick" you will see what I mean.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I suppose the easiest way to tell the difference between a supercharger and a turbo, is that a supercharger is mechanically driven and runs all the time the engine is running, whereas a turbo is driven by exhaust gasses and only cuts in at certain engine revs.

No doubt someone will explain it better :)
No need - spot on explanation.

Superchargers blow air into the engine. Turbo's suck air through the engine.
Nup, see Jon's explanation above. Both compress the charge air, but by different methods. A turbo uses the energy from the exhaust gas to spin the compressor, energy which otherwise would be wasted, whereas as Jon says, a supercharger uses the engine to spin the compressor, thus sapping some of the energy available from the engine. The disadvantage of a turbo is they are less efficient at lower revs, and suddenly 'kick in' when the exhaust gasses start flowing at a higher rate at higher engine revs. This leads to a phenomena called 'turbo lag' which used to be a major problem on early implementation, whereas supercharged engines give a smooth power delivery across the rev range,

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Now that is spot on!

SLKs also have an independent rear suspension and high camber front end (turn the wheels to full lock to show it off and the tread) which gives the car improved stability and a very small turning radius at low speeds.

I'd put the top down and open the trunk...let them NASCAR boys figure out how you did that!

You could also wear a pair of heels with your jeans, and they won't ask questions about your car - just if you're free for dinner! :tu:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,560 Posts
where is it John?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.