Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of car security for you from 1978, on how easy it is to break into a car and also how security conscious people were back then...as this video proved..not many. Tony Bastable and Taylor Shaw reports. First transmitted on the Thames TV 'Drive in' Show in 02/03/1978

Gotta love the hair ......:grin::grin:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Can remember that in the 60s UK cars usually had the key number stamped on the visible part of the ignition switch. Mind you think there were only about 10 different keys!

A little correction - it is Shaw Taylor - brought back some memories of what he did, had to look him up on wiki to see if he was still going, died in 2015 aged 90 and actual name, Eric Stanley Taylor.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
my dad used to leave the keys in the ignition

he never lost them that way. seriously. from about 1950 to 1978, when some arse nicked his Cortina and trashed it on the moors. That was night they showed " vanishing point " on the telly. He put the keys in his pocket after that. Still didn't lock the car. I am the exact opposite.
I helped a lady in distress in a supermarket car park who had locked her keys in her Fiat 126. After assuring her I was not a car thief, I popped out the small file blade on my mini swiss army penknife and popped it in the lock, gave it a gentle twist and .....bazinga. no damage at all. I advised her to by a Krooklok.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Years ago, after shopping with my young son i returned to my 1979 Mk1 Ford Fiesta to find i'd locked the keys in the car ! It took me about 30 seconds WITH A PIECE OF CARDBOARD BOX to break into it down the side of the window !!! Got home before any shopping was spoilt :)

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
CMind you think there were only about 10 different keys!
That's still true - last year a girl asked my daughter to drive her home from a party where she (her friend) drank too much - she slept in the passenger seat while my daughter drover her home - and the next morning called my daugher and said "it's like my car, but it's not my car". Same make, same model, same color, same key - but a different car!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts