Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

is nice to join the forum and even nicer to own a shiny SLKRoadster 200 Tip Auto 2005,

however I am having a problem with the Radio, head unit.
In the past it has been working intermittently.

but to be fair hasnt really worked much ever since owning it about 4 years now.

The Headunit switches on and the MB logo appears on the screen, thats about it tho!!!

I have looked on here:
Radio not working - Mercedes-Benz Forum

and duly note the steps to reset the unit:

1. power off your comand unit.
2. full reset your comand to factory default (on your display cluster)
3. remove the key.
4. go to your trunk and remove #6 fuse out for 2 min.
5. put the #6 fuse back in.
6. turn your key to position one. (wait for 15 seconds)
7. power on your comand unit.

However I am not sure how to reset (step 2)

I also note the thread on here to access fuse box in trunk:

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-general-discussion/38233-fuse-box-trunk.html

I also note this youtube video although is not SLK i think it may be relevant.

I would really like to try the reset as per the benz world thread,

please help!!

·
Founding Member 2006
108,815 Posts
you can try a battery reset

disconnect battery neg cable for a minimum of 30 mins
reconnect and reset clock and resynch windows
try Comand...note only 1 'm' in Comand.

other than that, that issue has been reported and time for a new headunit

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
2,030 Posts
Just to add to the battery reset concept: As a result of similar yet likely unrelated conundrum, I found myself seeking advice from an 'expert'. He has an established business which specializes in MB and BMW and claims 17 years of experience at that location. He advised that I could do a 'system reset' by disconnecting both battery cables and touching them together. When he saw the look on my face he started dialing 911. I asked if I should wait to make sure everything was powered down and he said "you can". He also said to be safe you can use a multimeter to see if anything is drawing current before you do it. For the record, I did it. I'm not entirely sure it accomplished anything (long, long story) but I can say with confidence it didn't hurt. I had done some other things too so who knows, but on that day the gremlins were held at bay.

Good luck. I agree you should upgrade to a better stereo. I have the OEM from my 05 350 if you want to stick with stock, but it's not the command unit (my spouse has it and I was never really impressed).

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,236 Posts
The symptom you describe (MB logo appearing and nothing more) is typical for an interrupted MOST ring.
What else do you have,navigation, UHI interface, CDC?
I would first check the connection of the HU to the MOST ring and the other components. Look for orange fiberoptic cables with a black plug connected to the back of the units. They look like this .
More info on MOST here and here .
Could also be that 1 of the other components on the MOST ring (if you have them) died.
Changing out the HU won't help a bit then, unless you go aftermarket in which case the MOST ring and anything else on it becomes redundant.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The symptom you describe (MB logo appearing and nothing more) is typical for an interrupted MOST ring.
What else do you have,navigation, UHI interface, CDC?
I would first check the connection of the HU to the MOST ring and the other components. Look for orange fiberoptic cables with a black plug connected to the back of the units. They look like this .
More info on MOST here and here .
Could also be that 1 of the other components on the MOST ring (if you have them) died.
Changing out the HU won't help a bit then, unless you go aftermarket in which case the MOST ring and anything else on it becomes redundant.
Thanks for your reply, this is really helpful, do you have a link where I may purchase the correct MOST ring for my car, should I need one?

Also do you not recommend I follow the steps for factory reset as in my first post?

Thanks so much

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you can try a battery reset

disconnect battery neg cable for a minimum of 30 mins
reconnect and reset clock and resynch windows
try Comand...note only 1 'm' in Comand.

other than that, that issue has been reported and time for a new headunit
Hi,

thanks for your response how can you be so sure the headunit needs replacing?

Regards

·
Founding Member 2006
108,815 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,236 Posts
Thanks for your reply, this is really helpful, do you have a link where I may purchase the correct MOST ring for my car, should I need one?

Also do you not recommend I follow the steps for factory reset as in my first post?

Thanks so much
You cannot purchase a MOST ring. The MOST ring is a factory installed bunch of optical wires that connect the different multimedia devices in your car (HU,Navi,Phone,CDC,amplifier aka Audio gateWay aka AGW) in a ringtype configuration. Every devices has an optical in and optical out. The AGW controls this ring and in order to be able to do that the ring ofcourse has to be closed. Meaning that if 1 component fails the ring is interrupted and every device on the ring stops functioning, so no navi,no phone, no music, no nothing. If that happens you get what you see now on your HU, the HU needs to get in contact with the AGW, puts a signal on the ring through it's optical out connection and waits for the answer to get back on it's optical in connection. Because the ring is broken somewhere that doesn't happen and it shuts down again.
Ofcourse if the HU itself is broken, i.e. it can not send a signal out to the AGW you can get the same error. But before swapping out a HU (these things are expensive) I would make sure it is in fact the culprit.
Hope this clarifies things, if not here is some more info on MOST and some basic fault finding, Getting the Most .
If you're not comfortable with it go to a dealer or a good indy with STAR, they can (or at least the should be able to) troubleshoot the ring and find out where exactly it is failing.
Ofcourse you can always try a factory reset first, won't do any harm and who knows, you might get lucky.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You cannot purchase a MOST ring. The MOST ring is a factory installed bunch of optical wires that connect the different multimedia devices in your car (HU,Navi,Phone,CDC,amplifier aka Audio gateWay aka AGW) in a ringtype configuration. Every devices has an optical in and optical out. The AGW controls this ring and in order to be able to do that the ring ofcourse has to be closed. Meaning that if 1 component fails the ring is interrupted and every device on the ring stops functioning, so no navi,no phone, no music, no nothing. If that happens you get what you see now on your HU, the HU needs to get in contact with the AGW, puts a signal on the ring through it's optical out connection and waits for the answer to get back on it's optical in connection. Because the ring is broken somewhere that doesn't happen and it shuts down again.
Ofcourse if the HU itself is broken, i.e. it can not send a signal out to the AGW you can get the same error. But before swapping out a HU (these things are expensive) I would make sure it is in fact the culprit.
Hope this clarifies things, if not here is some more info on MOST and some basic fault finding, Getting the Most .
If you're not comfortable with it go to a dealer or a good indy with STAR, they can (or at least the should be able to) troubleshoot the ring and find out where exactly it is failing.
Ofcourse you can always try a factory reset first, won't do any harm and who knows, you might get lucky.
thx for this sound advice,

can i just ask how exactly do i do the factory reset in the dash console using the s

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quick update

OK I tried the factory reset and did not get very far, for a start there was no fuse in no, 6 I think 19, 46 and 61 were car navigation fuses these where in the front passenger panel, under the hood and in the trunk.

So no luck there it must be the fibre optic cabling.

What I would like to know is do I have the Harmon Kardon system in the car?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,815 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,815 Posts
have you checked your datacard to see if you in fact have an HK?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,815 Posts
don't look like hk to me.

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,236 Posts
Neither to me.
If you have HK it usually says so by the Harman/Kardon logo on the speaker grill.
But either way it doesn't make much difference whether you have HK or not.
HK just means you got better speakers and amplifier in the AGW, rest of the setup is more or less the same.
If you change the HU for non-OEM it means extending or re-routing the speaker wiring and antenna from the AGW in the passenger footwell to the dash where the new HU comes.
If you stick with an OEM HU it's basically plug-and-play. Old NTG1 out and new in, and you're done.
That is if the problem is in the HU, otherwise follow the advice in earlier post(s).
Good luck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.