Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SLK is black, so always looks a bit dusty (not dirty) normally! I would like to buy a polishing machine and the kit and would like advice. Any thoughts on a home/DIY no frills buffing machine - no scratches on the paintwork, it just needs a brighter shine!

Thanks -

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,615 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,615 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
So SHINY! What kind of Megiuars wax did you use?
Gold Class Carnauba Plus :x
Be careful on around your seals as it will dry white in the joints.
Cocktail stick to clean the joins works without scratching but now you are going to the Hell side of cleaning.... :surprise:

See the back of my door mirror :nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
For a good buffer/waxer, check out the Griot's 6". Excellent buffer and you can't screw it up since it is a slow rotation orbital. If it isn't super shiny start with some meguiars 105 and 205, then your favorite sealant/wax. I like a sealant as they last much longer. Silver Klasse works very well and is easy. This site has decent prices on most of the top name brands and some excellent tutorials and forum.

https://www.autogeek.net/

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Count the number of car care products on the market and that is the number of recommendations you will get. Everybody has their favourite.

There are products, specifically designed for black paint to hide swirls. I would not try a polisher unless you are a handy guy...you could potentially over polish on high points in the body work etc. As a 10 year old black car (with no scratches), it may have previously been polished and the paint might already be quite thin.

That said - I did buy a DA polisher - used it once to "wax on, wax off" and decided doing it by hand was easier (with my preferred car cosmetics).

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
For a good buffer/waxer, check out the Griot's 6". Excellent buffer and you can't screw it up since it is a slow rotation orbital. If it isn't super shiny start with some meguiars 105 and 205, then your favorite sealant/wax. I like a sealant as they last much longer. Silver Klasse works very well and is easy. This site has decent prices on most of the top name brands and some excellent tutorials and forum.

https://www.autogeek.net/
Another for Klasse (aka Carlack)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Rorywquin ,
I know what you mean , worries me when using a DA , i think i have my car at quite a good standard so usually put the wax on by hand and use a soft pad to remove then a lambswool bonnet to buff up . Have not had the need to use a compound or polish . But having joint problems i find the Da has a place in my detailing Armory .

·
Registered
246 Posts
NEVER, EVER, (I'll stop shouting now) use a duster to remove contaminants and debris. Dust spots/patches on a car are 'normal' just leave them to your next two bucket wash.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts