Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean to ask the same question over again but I bought this little 2001 slk230 and rescued it from being parted out. I am trying to breath new life into it with others help on this forum. I received it not running with a dead battery. I bought the correct battery for it and now it just cranks over and wont start. Any ideas what to check first? Fuses? I read somewhere something about the ignition key having to be resynced to ignition switch? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! neveridle

·
Registered
82 Posts
Fuel, Spark, Compression, Intake, Exhaust, Timing.

One (or more) of those is missing (or is off time).

Check if it has spark (check the timing later if issue not resolved).
Listen if you hear fuel pump when key is in position 2.

Report back here when done. Crank/no-start can often give no codes.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK320
655 Posts
Crankshaft position sensor? That gives a code.................sometimes. It did with mine but I've read posts where it hasn't for some folk.

Re-syncing a key isn't required for a battery change.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG/2009 SLK55 AMG
227 Posts
Crankshaft position sensor? That give a code.................sometimes. It did with mine but I've read posts where it hasn't for some folk.
I second this. The CPS is a common problem on the m112. I had a Chrysler Crossfire for a while and had the same symptoms.

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,606 Posts
I thought a 230 Kompressor was a 4 pot :grin:

Never-the-less Crank Sensor is still a good educated guess :wink:

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,606 Posts
LOL, it wouldn't be the first time I've done that either :wink:

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
889 Posts
I support the idea of the CPS.
I bought the first of two 2001 R170s in 2014. We were out on a poker run on Vancouver Island and the car died in an area where there is no cell coverage at 63000 km. The part was cheap and easy to replace. The tow was a killer.
When I picked up the current one last July I went straight into my indy shop and asked them to change it even though this one was 57000 km. They said they would test it. I said fine and when you are done please change it.
They fail open and often will trick you into thinking all is cool and then die when hot. They will cool off and the car will start only to die when hot again. I thought maybe investing in a CO 2 fire extinguisher might be the thing to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts