Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've taken Silkie and Kellie (the BMW) off the roads for a few months I was looking at getting car covers to protect them from the elements, dust, leaves, tree sap and our feathered friends once they are both cleaned and prepped. Autoexpress in the UK recommend the Halfords cover as the best one to get. Has anyone had experience of these? Or would you recommend other makes? Also - what condition should I leave the cars in before putting on the covers? Full treatment? (clayed and waxed) or just a good clean and then wash'n'wax them when the covers come off?

I did try a search, but most results were people 'asking' for recommendations, not 'reviewing' covers, if that makes sense.

(As I am also getting one for the Beemer, I need to be a little careful on costs - no custom covers!!)

Silkie is 4.1m long, so was going for the Halfords S cover. This should also cover the R171 and R172 models.
Kellie (the 5er) is 4.9m long so have to go for the XL version o_O

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,893 Posts
Can't comment on the covers Martin BUT I always wash, wax then go for a short (he he) drive to dry off the rotors/pads . Yeah, I know-->that drive will get more dirt put back on but it's what I do. THEN put the trickler on and then put the cover on. I've got the clay equip but not done that yet. This summer for sure (if/when it arrives).

Not washing (especially), you've got the cover moving over the grit (as you're putting it on AND if outside, the wind moving it, even slightly) that won't do the finish any good.

Reactions: savcom

·
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So just clean and bed down then.

I'll pop trickle charge extension cables on too to keep the batteries topped up.

Sent from my phone when my back was turned.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
2,314 Posts
So just clean and bed down then.

I'll pop trickle charge extension cables on too to keep the batteries topped up.

Sent from my phone when my back was turned.
With the apparent critter population in your neck of the woods it may well be worth plugging up as many orifices as you can or at least have a regular checking routine noted on the calendar ?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
915 Posts

·
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the apparent critter population in your neck of the woods it may well be worth plugging up as many orifices as you can or at least have a regular checking routine noted on the calendar ?
Ha ha ha - yes. Although there have been 'other measures' put in place and no evidence seen since that little incident! ??

·
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Martin, will the car be indoors? If not then the whole cover thing is a conundrum because any movement of the cover can create scratching.
Anyway, this is the one I got and it seems pretty good. Fits well and is secure, but I’m not sure I’d be happy with it on during a gale. HWHCZ Car Cover Works With Mercedes-AMG Class CLA/CLS/SLS/GL/SL/SLK Car Cover | All Weather Waterproof Protection From Rain Dust Wind Sun UV | Indoor Outdoor (Size : SLK): Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
The cars will be outdoors, as there's only a single (small) garage that's too useful as a workshop for everything else that I do here.

I take your point about gales etc. but we should be past the worst of that now. It's more the dust, bird poop and tree sap (which will all be on the cover if it does it's job properly....

·
915 Posts
The cars will be outdoors, as there's only a single (small) garage that's too useful as a workshop for everything else that I do here.

I take your point about gales etc. but we should be past the worst of that now. It's more the dust, bird poop and tree sap (which will all be on the cover if it does it's job properly....
In that case I’m happy to recommend the one I got.

·
915 Posts
Let me be clear though. People on here talk about their, ‘beater’ cars. Which makes me laugh, because the Little Growler is my beater car - or to put it more simply, my car!
So, it’s going to get crapped on and dinked no matter what I do, that’s what inner city living means. I mean, I learned to drive in Paris where one parks by, ‘feel’ :)

·
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha ha - I'm with you there about Paris. The company I work for is based there and to get off the Metro at Robespierre and walk to the offices through Montreuil teaches you about how the French treat their cars.... Cars are parked bumper to bumper and, if you're clever, you park with your handbrake off, so your car moves when it's bumped to minimise the impact.

The French really do park by touch.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,893 Posts
Ha ha - I'm with you there about Paris.
The French really do park by touch.
They get a lot of practise when in traffic too. Go nowhere, stop, go nowhere, stop. Rinse and repeat.

A nice place to visit but I would never drive there.

Reactions: savcom
1 - 12 of 12 Posts