Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could somebody please give me the heads-up on the best place to find a good quality breathable car cover for my soon-to-arrive SLK55 AMG? If possible, I would like one in Mercedes silver-grey with the Mercedes star and the AMG logo.

Thanks all!

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,588 Posts
me thinks i shall move this to the r171 where to get items section

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,588 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Could somebody please give me the heads-up on the best place to find a good quality breathable car cover for my soon-to-arrive SLK55 AMG? If possible, I would like one in Mercedes silver-grey with the Mercedes star and the AMG logo.

Thanks all!

where do you plan on using the cover? We were going to get a cover for use at home only. Decided on a "portable" garage.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I've got two of the MB ones, and they are great - not designed for true "outdoor" use, but perfect for a carport or garage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got two of the MB ones, and they are great - not designed for true "outdoor" use, but perfect for a carport or garage.
Do they have the M-B logo? What colour and what are they made of? Most of all, are they decent value for money?

Thanks!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would actually like to see photos of it on the car. All I can find are renderings or professional shots. If you've got one on your car in the garage would you mind taking a photo of the front and back?

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I brought one to use for the winter, used it one time. I no longer store my SLK for the winter. I drive it all year around. If anyone is interested, let me know.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I brought one to use for the winter, used it one time. I no longer store my SLK for the winter. I drive it all year around. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Do you think you could pop it on the car next time you clean it and take a couple of pics? I would then be interested in buying it from you.

Thanks, but I have something similar to this. I'm looking for something a little more presentable for longer winter storage.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Do you think you could pop it on the car next time you clean it and take a couple of pics? I would then be interested in buying it from you.
It's been raining nearly every day here so I'll see if I can get it washed this weekend and put it on really quick, it's made for the SLK so it's a perfect fit.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Thanks, but I have something similar to this. I'm looking for something a little more presentable for longer winter storage.[/QUOTE]

More like this one. It is fitted for car and mirrors and MB logo on hood as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cover pix

Mine is a factory MB cover.
Here are some pix and the associated problem areas.

From the rear you can see this does not cover the antenna, you unscrew it before covering. Pobably a much better idea anyway.

On the right side if you look at the mirror you can see where it has started to tear.

It is a slightly tight fit and had I used more care from the beginning I may have been able to avoid the tear.

The gromets on each side are a bit flimsy too. My outer ring is split and will fall off if I don't keep an eye on it.

I use a bungee to secure the middle of the cover between the gromets, tossing it under the car. I also use a couple of small bungee's on the front of the cover (one on each wheel) otherwise a little wind will find your cover either beating up the car, or the cover off in Kansas somewhere with Toto.

Also, the wee bit of elastic along the lower edge is no match for even the lightest of wind, so if using in a garage fine, if using in any sort of wx at all, some bungee setup or some other means of securing is needed.

I haven't found any aftermarket covers yet, and this one fits so well that I'm inclined to buy another one and call the wear & tear a cost of leaving outside once in a while.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
fantastic! thanks
Sorry, didn't get a chance to washed it this weekend, my wife is out of the country so I had my hands full with three kids Saturday morning. Had a wedding Saturday night and didn't go to bed until 4am in the morning. So my whole Sunday was wasted. I'll also be flying out of the country this Wednesday so it'll be awhile until I can take a picture.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mine is a factory MB cover.
Here are some pix and the associated problem areas.

I use a bungee to secure the middle of the cover between the gromets, tossing it under the car. I also use a couple of small bungee's on the front of the cover (one on each wheel) otherwise a little wind will find your cover either beating up the car, or the cover off in Kansas somewhere with Toto.

Also, the wee bit of elastic along the lower edge is no match for even the lightest of wind, so if using in a garage fine, if using in any sort of wx at all, some bungee setup or some other means of securing is needed.

I haven't found any aftermarket covers yet, and this one fits so well that I'm inclined to buy another one and call the wear & tear a cost of leaving outside once in a while.
Thanks, I was hoping it would be similar to a Ferrari factory cover. No not red, but silver soft cloth with a large ///AMG or Mercedes badge on the hood. It does fit the car well.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Finally got a chance to wash it, so here is what the car cover looks like. It fits perfectly with a hole for the antenna. A lot of winkles, I haven't used this cover for years.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts