Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious about opinions. I have two SLK230 cars in similar shape (both nice) and mileage. With care considerations and looks what do you think?

I like the look of black but have had black cars and they can be a bear to keep looking sharp.

White still looks great and is easy to care for.

Silver would be my favorite since it is MBZ race color but I can't find one locally that I like and they seem to loose the lustre when not cared for.
This question is for a purchase decision.

·
Registered
208 Posts
White looks amazing in my opinion, I'd have my silver wrapped in a heart beat if I could find someone good locally.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,293 Posts
edit feature is below the posts you type

·
Banned
804 Posts
I have a Paladium Silver SLK and a Jet Black BMW. The Silver requires no maintenance except an occasional wax, but the BMW is a PITA! I don't even worry about it anymore; I get to it when I can or feel like it. You'll get used to it after a while, and it won't bother you.

If I had my choice of color which I don't buying as I do, I'd always go with a Silver or a Gray color. For me, White reminds me of a big refrigerator. MB has some nice conservative colors. BTW, did you know the favorite Mercedes colors are Black and Silver?

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your opinions.

I think I am leaning towards the white one because of the care issue and no swirl marks, etc. Plus this will be replacement for the 1968 280 SL I had for 19 years was white (with blue leather and top). If I had kept the 280 and had it restored it would either be a white or silver paint job.

·
103,293 Posts
Black is beautiful! see my albums!

·
Registered
113 Posts
For me, black is totally sexy, fast, and just says KOOOOL.............lol.......for me that is the last reason for buying a vehicle as "form follows function" is and should be the guiding philosophy............ but if you put a black vehicle next to a colored/white probably 90% of unbiased folks will think the black is totally the way to go................ Yes, black is a total pain to take care of........TOTALLY.......But when I cruise, it's worth the looks.............. just my humble opinion............. God bless...... Dennis

·
103,293 Posts
Listen to that man!!!

Haven't washed my car in 3 months. How does it look?

Of course, I clean (detail) it every day
plus vacuum, clean windshield, clean rims ad tire dressing

·
103,293 Posts
No guts, no glory I always say! :D

·
Professional Troublemaker
257 Posts
I love my black one, however as a daily driver it very quickly gets dirty from any rain or water from the road. If that bothers you, don't get a black one, or don't drive it when it will get wet.

·
Registered 2002 SLK200
51 Posts
I love my black slk, wouldn't want it any other colour. Not saying cleaning it is fun, you are forever outside polishing and shinning, it's major effort but worth it!

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK320
849 Posts
I have a silver one. Buying second hand you buy the one that's the best looked after when you're looking. I would LOVE a white one!!!! I've never seen a white one in South Australia.

·
*Premium Member
2019 SLC 300 Black on Black
2,584 Posts
I like Henry Ford thinking get any color you want as long as it is black. Just get a California Duster for dust and pollen and use a spray detailer after washing. SLK is not a large car and can be cleaned and detailed in a short time. It is not like a big bus.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Black is for redheads!

,,,but for this redhead, not in a car!
I will say that jbanks among other SLK owners on this forum keep those black beauties looking quite sweet. However my life is much too busy to detail etc. everyday. I am a bit CDO traited (OCD-properly alphabetized!) so it would drive me mad to not have it looking its best.
Hubby had a black and chrome Crossfire so that was enough to teach me my preference.
I was thrilled and lucky to find my 2001 SLK 320 in BRILLIANT SILVER METALLIC and my interior is ANTHRACITE. I can't believe I love that interior but sure I would like something lighter in color but then it wouldn't be my Lil' Miss Rudelle (means famous in German)!
You gotta go with what you love but here in sunny FL black maintains the heat and avoiding rain....well we call that liquid sunshine down here and that's frequently present!! A matter of fact I hear a grumble right now...
Bet the white is purty!!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.