Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, I hit the road @ 4:30 am and drove the 4-1/2 hrs to Tacoma to Griots Garage.
I went there for some advice on dealing with swirl marks on my black SLK.....
First surprise: They welcomed me in 10 minutes before opening time (a real rarity)
Second surprise: After I explained the reason for my visit, the young lady said " you see that garage door that says CAR CARE SCHOOL ? I'm going to open it and you drive up the ramp and into it"
Once inside, they did a private class and demo on my SLK of all the items and procedures I would need for what I wanted to accomplish........the results were just what I'd hoped for.
After I understood the process, I went to the sales ares, while the woman polished my windscreen and removed the bug jerky from the front......
Sales was low pressure and included many suggestions re: "buy it this way, it's cheaper."
What a great group of people !! They have made a customer for life.........,..
If you're ever up that way, stop in and get surprised........or order their catalog.
(I am not affiliated nor have I played an affiliate on T.V.)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I must say that I am not surprised in the least at your story, Starfighter. I have been a devoted user of Griot's Garage products for many years, and this kind of customer service is one of the reasons why. The Mercedes-Benz Club of America sections in Seattle and Portland usually do a couple of events with them every year.

Here in Oregon, the official distributor is Sidedraught City in Portland. Neil D'Autremont is a great guy and wonderful supporter of the local car clubs, and he gives 10% discounts for MBCA members. If we can turn Beaver State SLKs into a club, I'll ask about extending that to us as well.

Did you buy the 6" random orbital buffer? Once I worked up the courage to get one, I was hooked and wondered why I waited so long. Your black car would shine up brilliantly by polishing with #3 and finishing with Best of Show Wax.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did buy a 6" DA polisher. Brian recommended #2 polish as MB and BMW clear coats are harder than others.
I went with the Premium Carnuba paste wax as I like paste and putting it on by hand.
(this is the combo we did as a test patch and I really liked the results)
Also went for the glass polish and machine pads............

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I did buy a 6" DA polisher. Brian recommended [URL=http://www.slkworld.com//usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] polish as MB and BMW clear coats are harder than others.
I went with the Premium Carnuba paste wax as I like paste and putting it on by hand.
(this is the combo we did as a test patch and I really liked the results)
Also went for the glass polish and machine pads............
Excellent! I also use the various machine pads for polish, glass polish, Best of Show Wax, and wax removal. They make keeping Sunhilde and her C230 sibling looking good much easier than doing it all by hand, as I used to do. If you do an area with #2 , you should clean it with Speed Shine and repeat with #3 to take care of any fine scratches. I used #4 on Sunhilde for her first detail, and it worked really well. I may yet get some #3 , for there are some scratches that the #4 didn't take out. I just wanted to use the mildest option for her first polish.

I also like the little green foam mitts and the white scrubbies on the black handle for wheel cleaning, along with the green liquid wheel cleaner. Interior cleaner is great too, and their foaming glass cleaner is top-notch. Leather care is great, too.

Neil at Sidedraught City does an annual spring detail clinic for Portland Section MBCA, and he demonstrates the buffer and polishes on a volunteer's car or on another part. Last spring he used a thoroughly thrashed Nissan truck hood, and the section he did shined up well despite the years of neglect and abuse.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, for my car, they recommended the #2 polish followed by One step sealant, then Carnuba paste.
The theory was that One step Sealant is a mix of #3 polish and sealant to do finish polish and make the carnuba last longer. And if the carnuba is gone before I wax again, the sealant keeps on protecting. But .......I am amazed at the results !!!
Wish I'd bought into the polisher and this system about 45 years ago............

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Wish I'd bought into the polisher and this system about 45 years ago............
Don't flog yourself over it...neither the buffer nor the materials existed that long ago; Richard didn't start making any of this stuff until 1988. I know that the buffer hasn't been around in this form for more than ten years or so. I'm just happy to have it available now!:laugh:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
What do you do for those places the 6" pad doesn't fit in ?......
By hand or also get a 3" ?
I do it by hand. But there aren't many places on my SLK that I can't get to using the 6". A 3" would be nice, but there are other things I'd like to do to the car (like Smarttop) before springing for another detailing tool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts